Suggestions on what weights to buy

Options
I have a 120 dollars to spend on weights. I just had a baby 4 months ago so I'm determined to get the last 20 pounds off. I want to get some weights to lift at home so can you suggest what I should get? I do want kettlebells but I don't know what weight to buy? So for starters, what should I get?

Replies

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell Starter Sizes Chart

Your Condition Sex Recommended Starting Kettlebell Size
    Out of shape or older age Male 26 lb. (12 kg)
    Female 15 lb. (6 kg)
    Average or good shape Male 35 pounder (16 kg)
    Female 18 pounder (8 kg)
    Good shape, experienced in weight training Male 44-pounder (20 kg)
    Female 26-pounder (12 kg)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm not going to risk telling you how best to spend your money, but i thought i'd chime in with a few of the different ways you can NOT need specific weights.

- a pound of butter weighs [duh] a pound. however, it will melt and get hard to grip after a couple of sets.
    - can of soup is prolly about the same weight.
    - a gallon of water should weigh around 8. could make it weigh a lot more if you drank the water and filled the jug up with pennies, i guess.
    - half a gallon - two litres here - would weigh 4.
    - babies quickly get to an age where they love being bench pressed. you just have to watch out for drool when they laugh. bet they'd like glute bridges too.

congrats on the baby and the decision. generally it's nice to have a range of weights for different things, but you don't absolutely have to use 'weights' if the money is tight.
  • arya8
    arya8 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i'm not going to risk telling you how best to spend your money, but i thought i'd chime in with a few of the different ways you can NOT need specific weights.

- a pound of butter weighs [duh] a pound. however, it will melt and get hard to grip after a couple of sets.
    - can of soup is prolly about the same weight.
    - a gallon of water should weigh around 8. could make it weigh a lot more if you drank the water and filled the jug up with pennies, i guess.
    - half a gallon - two litres here - would weigh 4.
    - babies quickly get to an age where they love being bench pressed. you just have to watch out for drool when they laugh. bet they'd like glute bridges too.

congrats on the baby and the decision. generally it's nice to have a range of weights for different things, but you don't absolutely have to use 'weights' if the money is tight.

lol thanks for that, I needed it! I've already had drool all over me a million times and after a while you get used to it. Hubby gave me money for Christmas (huh?) so that's what I decided on. Thanks! :blush:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Look at Goodwill or craigslist for used weights/KB. You get a lot more for you money with dumbbells and you can do nearly everything you can with KB. I love KB, but when buying for home they're the most expensive per pound of any heavy thing you can buy. I suggest look to cheap dumbbells for 1-20 lb for upper body, then spend your Christmas money on a 25-30 lb KB. It will be good for swings and goblet squats and other lower body work for quite awhile, probably.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into resistance bands? They usually are a good cheap price, and you can make the resistance (weight) more intense as you gain muscle with your routines by shortening how you are holding them.

Also I agree with using your baby in workouts.. my 2.5yr old STILL asks me to do squats with him in my arms! lol!

Congrats on the baby and on your drive to get back to where you want to be!!

That's a good idea, and you'd still have enough $$$ for a cute workout outfit!
  • arya8
    Options
    Have you looked into resistance bands? They usually are a good cheap price, and you can make the resistance (weight) more intense as you gain muscle with your routines by shortening how you are holding them.

Also I agree with using your baby in workouts.. my 2.5yr old STILL asks me to do squats with him in my arms! lol!

That's a great idea! I'm going to put that on my list!
  • arya8
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Look at Goodwill or craigslist for used weights/KB. You get a lot more for you money with dumbbells and you can do nearly everything you can with KB. I love KB, but when buying for home they're the most expensive per pound of any heavy thing you can buy. I suggest look to cheap dumbbells for 1-20 lb for upper body, then spend your Christmas money on a 25-30 lb KB. It will be good for swings and goblet squats and other lower body work for quite awhile, probably.

I will check if they have anything at our Goodwill. It's pretty close
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options

What they said. Kettlebells are one of the most expensive pieces of strength equipment you can buy per lb. Craigslist, Play it Again Sports, and thrift shops are pretty good resources. Keep your eye on Amazon too. Around this time of year I have seen kettlebells as low as $1.00 per pound.

I would second the recommendation to buy Dumbells and a heavy kettlebell:-) Do you have a program you are thinking of doing?
  • arya8
    Options

What they said. Kettlebells are one of the most expensive pieces of strength equipment you can buy per lb. Craigslist, Play it Again Sports, and thrift shops are pretty good resources. Keep your eye on Amazon too. Around this time of year I have seen kettlebells as low as $1.00 per pound.

I would second the recommendation to buy Dumbells and a heavy kettlebell:-) Do you have a program you are thinking of doing?

No, I don't! I was going to look on youtube for workouts. Do you have any recommendations?
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Have you considered this?

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Block-IB-KB20-Parent-PowerBlock-Kettle/dp/B003HTP8R6?th=1&psc=1

90 bucks will give you variable kettle bell weights up to 20 pounds.

PS I do agree dumbells are a better purchase, but I figured I would answer your original question anyway.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    arya8 wrote: »

I will check if they have anything at our Goodwill. It's pretty close

Check back a Goodwill frequently, they have a lot of turnover of goods.
  • lorrpb
    Options

@Jules_farmgirl Just keep this up as he grows, built in progressive resistance!
  • yaygerbomb
    yaygerbomb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you'd be starting at. But I have this adjustable dumbbell set, cost me $50 and goes up to 40lbs. I've done full body dumbbell workouts from it. https://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-40-pound-Adjustable-Dumbbell/dp/B000VCDXNS/ref=sr_1_7?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1483146273&sr=1-7&keywords=adjustable+dumbbells
  • arya8
    Options
    yaygerbomb wrote: »
    Not sure what you'd be starting at. But I have this adjustable dumbbell set, cost me $50 and goes up to 40lbs. I've done full body dumbbell workouts from it. https://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-40-pound-Adjustable-Dumbbell/dp/B000VCDXNS/ref=sr_1_7?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1483146273&sr=1-7&keywords=adjustable+dumbbells

This looks really good! Thanks!
  • lorrpb
    Options

I got this set at Goodwill for $5 and additional plates are only shows few $each.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

I got this set at Goodwill for $5 and additional plates are only shows few $each.

I got something similar from craigslist for around $15. I need to start checking my Goodwill! I actually bought a second set when I started progressing and combined them. Ended up being cheaper than buying plates separately.

I also got this adjustable kettlebell. They have 20% off coupons every so often. It'll take the same 1" plates as the dumbbells. The diameter is such that I wouldn't put anything bigger than 10lb-ers on it, weighs 20lbs by itself, so it'll max out at 60lbs. It's just as much of a pain to change weights as the dumbbells.
    pDSP1-18599529p275w.jpg