Thoughts on drinking diet cokes, etc

Options
I have a rather odd question...i used to drink them alot during my initial weight loss journey. In fact, i drank about 4 20 oz diet pepsi's a day. While at the beach, i read an article about their link to cancer and other dreadful diseases and i quit cold turkey for well over a year. I changed to unsweatened tea with no sweatener, water, etc. However, nearly 5 months after quitting them, i had gained about 20 pounds.... i know its supposed to go the other way... thoughts on them? I still drink them now, just wondering if that needs to cease.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I like to drink whiskey. and wine, and vodka.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Going the other way was in reference to the thought that drinking diet soda and the artificial sweeteners makes you crave more high sugar, other foods... sorry for confusion
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think consuming diet soda or not consuming diet soda will cause weight gain. Calories (too many) cause weight gain. That said, I drink too much coffee and specifically decided not to quit coffee when I was losing weight because it was so easy to rely on if I wanted to eat. If you were using diet soda in that way and quit it, it could be you compensated by eating more. You could now work on controlling food intake and whatever bad habits might have developed, if that's the case.

I don't drink much diet soda and I'd personally not start drinking a ton of it if you don't currently, but in moderation it's fine and the linked discussion on aspartame is good on the health issue (for the real information not the nonsense that gets spread).
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've drank diet soda for over 20 years. I drank probably close to two 2-liters a day while I lost 160 pounds. I've never had problems with health or losing weight. For some people they may cause sugar cravings, or have a sensitivity to the artificial sweeteners, but for me, no problems at all. I can easily drink a 12-pack of Coke Zero in a day, on top of my 48oz of coffee and water.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I think over time there will be a connection between artificial sweeteners and something negative happening to our bodies but at this point who knows? I see diet drinks as empty calories and zero nutritional value, like water. The difference is water is free and unlikely to cause many problems down the road. Once I got used to drinking water or unsweet tea I prefered them. You are free to drink what you like but you may get a kick out of a game I play during my morning run. I count how many semi trucks with coke or pepsi pass me, its usually between five and seven 18 wheeler loads.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Switched from Diet Coke to unsweetened iced tea about 3 years ago and it caused me to gain/lose 0 lbs. I stopped dealing with gas and bloating, though, which was nice.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I like it, 20+ years of drinking it.
    I can tolerate water too but sometimes I can just need the caffeine or fizzy ice cold pop.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Worry more about drinking enough water. I like diet sodas too, but I aim to drink 2 gallons of water per day so I'm probably not going to drink much soda because I'm too full!! 2 gallons is a lot, I know; even if you drank 1 per day you'd probably see your soda consumption drop by default.
  • rainbowpuddles
    rainbowpuddles Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I know some people like the diet soda because the carbonation helps them feel fuller longer than just water, or in your case, unsweetened tea. Do you need the caffeine? If not, and you feel like you should cut back, what about flavored seltzer water? They have the carbonation and different fruit flavors, and none of the asparatme some people question in diet sodas.
  • rsclause
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I think over time there will be a connection between artificial sweeteners and something negative happening to our bodies but at this point who knows? I see diet drinks as empty calories and zero nutritional value, like water. The difference is water is free and unlikely to cause many problems down the road. Once I got used to drinking water or unsweet tea I prefered them. You are free to drink what you like but you may get a kick out of a game I play during my morning run. I count how many semi trucks with coke or pepsi pass me, its usually between five and seven 18 wheeler loads.

50 years of intensive research and we've got nothing bad on it. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

That may be true but I feel a connection between artificial sweeteners and diabetes may be found. Anyway you may notice I have a lot of "I feel" and "May be" followed by "who knows" so really I got nothing. On the other hand I challenge you to find healthy benefits to drinking them. As stated I don't care if anyone likes or drinks them, I am just cheap and would rather not drink them.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

50 years of intensive research and we've got nothing bad on it. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

That may be true but I feel a connection between artificial sweeteners and diabetes may be found. Anyway you may notice I have a lot of "I feel" and "May be" followed by "who knows" so really I got nothing. On the other hand I challenge you to find healthy benefits to drinking them. As stated I don't care if anyone likes or drinks them, I am just cheap and would rather not drink them.

My own little n=1 shows this has not been the case at all and I have hard data going back several years now to prove it. When I was a pre-diabetic I did not drink diet soda. I started drinking it when I started my weight loss phase. Fast forward to today and I'm no longer a pre-diabetic with fasting glucose numbers coming in at the 80s and 90s. My weight controls my glucose numbers, not artificial sweeteners :) Like I posted above-the ADA actually recommends diet soda for diabetics.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    my thought is I love them!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

You need to read this thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I'm not that keen on them myself, and drink more water than anything, but it's just that I don't like the taste that much, not that I think there is anything scary about them.

• rsclause
    Options
    Drink up! I am okay with it.