Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"What" could be as important as "How Much"??? when it comes to health?

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    People with certain medical issues need to eat differently than those without health problems- like those with diabetes, crohns etc. For those people then yes it does matter what they eat because their body processes certain foods differently. But since I don't have any medical problems (anymore ), this doesn't really apply. 'How much' is what controls my weight, which in turn controls my glucose numbers. I can eat whatever kinds of foods I want though within my calorie parameters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Of course for certain health conditions what you eat matters a lot. There are some Crohn's sufferers on here who speak to that. My sister has IBS and has had her life improve a lot since she cut out various foods (ones that would be considered healthful in most diets). Allergies are also a reason why what you eat can matter a lot, or celiac.

I'd say it matters for other reasons too, like satiety (although as with the various health conditions it depends on the person). And of course nutrition matters. (And back when I was thin but drinking too much, it mattered then too, as I was doing harm to myself, even if I lucked out in not having any effects show up medically.)

Also, although I know some LCHF advocates don't like to hear it, some benefit from cutting down on sat fat. There was a poster here a while back doing very well on a doctor-mandated low fat diet, and my dad seems to be someone who is affected by sat fat and improved his cholesterol without medication by cutting way back on red meat and dairy fat, mostly. (He was already active and a healthy weight when he started.)

That nutrition matters, however, and that for some what you eat matters even more doesn't change the fact that for most who are obese losing weight is one of the most significant changes you can make for your health and will improve test results. (My test results were great when I was fat AND I was eating a whole foods based, nutrient dense diet for the most part, and yet I still think I improved my health way beyond what messing around with diet would do simply by losing weight and adding a lot more exercise to my life. So for me, obviously "how much" mattered, as test results or no being obese was a huge risk factor that I no longer have.)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Of course diet is important in severe chronic GI diseases. I don't know how this proves it is for everyone though. I have Crohn's and my diet is opposite of what people consider "healthy". I am low fiber, no raw vegetables, very few cooked vegetables, very few fruit, no whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes. I call it the beige diet. For me a salad is a very unhealthy choice. This diet would not be recommended for someone without a GI disease.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease, familial hypercholesterolemia, and IBS (I'm also soy intolerant, if that matters). There are adjustments I make to my diet to account for all of those conditions.

I don't think this proves anything for everyone, though. Not everyone needs to eat as low fat as I've found works for helping my cholesterol (or eat as much fiber). Not everyone needs to avoid gluten. Not everyone needs to be careful how well cooked broccoli and cauliflower and spinach are so their IBS doesn't act up. Not everyone needs to avoid excess fat (triggers my IBS).

In the same vein, I don't think the article you posted about the SCD helping those kids proves anything.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If I had to eat like my wife did, I'd be in serious trouble. She has so many food issues that about all she eats is meat and certain vegetables. No gluten, no dairy, no potatoes, no beans, and a whole raft of other "no's". I see her doubled over in pain if something unsuspected gets in her diet. From gravy made from the potato water 25 years ago to too much rice in one sitting a couple weeks ago.

Has absolutely no bearing on what I can or can't eat. I just have to cook for myself if what she is cooking is unappealing to me.