Educated Opinions Wanted: BionicGym

Options
I love looking at new Kickstarter campaigns, and today I received an email from Indigogo with various campaigns included, and the one for Bionic Gym caught my eye.

I'd love to hear some educated opinions on whether this is a bunch of BS, or actually feasible.

I thought debate might be the best location for this topic, but wasn't sure.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's over exaggerated. While muscle tensing happens in any physical activity, lying on a couch bears NO WEIGHT on the legs.
    Muscle stimulators have been around for a long time and are used more for muscle/injury therapy than for "working out".
    Honestly, you can just sit on the couch and flex your legs for free and get the same results. Save your money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's over exaggerated. While muscle tensing happens in any physical activity, lying on a couch bears NO WEIGHT on the legs.
    Muscle stimulators have been around for a long time and are used more for muscle/injury therapy than for "working out".
    Honestly, you can just sit on the couch and flex your legs for free and get the same results. Save your money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh, I wasn't planning on buying it. LOL I actually enjoy my workouts. I was just curious to get some educated opinions versus their information posted at the bottom, which would of course, be positive. :smiley:
  • louiscrowe
    louiscrowe Posts: 0 Member
    Options
    Hey Rayenne, Dr Louis Crowe here (BionicGym), great to hear you enjoy your workouts. Ninerbuff is right that with traditional electrical stimulation there is little cardio effect nor calorie burn. That's why this body-hack continually surprises. It is not dependent on weight bearing - that is why the European Space Agency were so keen on it. It is also well published in peer-reviewed scientific journals https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Louis+Crowe. I've included a heart rate readout from a session - it was damn tough! All the best, Louis 2a3olg3ky3mp.jpg