Sugar. I consume too much sugar. Help!

Options
13»

Replies

• tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/TmDRmr_KFu4
    There's different opinions about sugar. Some say sugar is totally fine, especially given that our bodies run on glucose, as long as you eat a low fat diet. It's dietary fat that gets in the way of sugar absorption that leads to blood sugar swings and weight gain. Sugar by itself is fuel. Getting it from whole foods like dates, other fruits is ideal. Fatty cakes and cookies as well as HFCS give sugar a bad rap.
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Oh dear. The demonization has begun.

Look I don't think OP needs this thread to turn into a debate about whether or not sugar is toxic or addictive, and whether Big Processed Food is manipulating us all.

This OP mentioned knowing she needs to eat more "real food". I truly think the most helpful advice for her is to provide recommendations about how to build a sensible diet around primarily nutrient dense foods and leave the fearmongering out. Once she starts eating more "real food" then she can determine if there is a place in her diet for added sugar or not.

Yes, Wino my post was directed to you. :wink:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,641 Member
    Options
    I found that it was easier to reduce my consumption of low-nutrient-density sweets if I made it a point to get 3 servings of whole fruit daily. It seemed to reduce the cravings, for me. Yes, fruit has sugar, but typically not as much as cookies, candy, etc., and in fruit the sugar comes packaged with filling fiber, health-building micronutrients (vitamins, anti-oxidants, etc.), and more good stuff generally.

This doesn't work for everyone, and may take a couple of weeks to be effective even for those it helps, but perhaps it could be a worthwhile experiment.
  • Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When your body gets excess sugar, it stores it as fat for energy for later. It's really simple. You can still have your sweets, but it'd be better to make sure you fit them in without going over your sugar goal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Icrizz wrote: »
    When your body gets excess sugar, it stores it as fat for energy for later. It's really simple. You can still have your sweets, but it'd be better to make sure you fit them in without going over your sugar goal.

Your body stores any extra calories as fat, regardless of the source. Doesn't matter if you are over your sugar goal, your fat goal, your protein goal, etc.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Icrizz wrote: »

No, it doesn't, even if you go over your sugar goal. I wish this myth would just die and be buried.

Excess calories causes fat gain/storage. One can still lose weight if they go over the sugar goal but stay in a deficit. You body constantly stores and uses its fat stores.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    LilacLion wrote: »
    I feel ya lovetolose20 ! I don't think that sugar is fine or that any kind of fructose is either. I believe it's a highly addictive toxin and only when surrounded by appropriate amounts of fiber and phytochemicals, is it safe to consume.

I think that we as a public have been fooled into thinking that it's ok, but I think that we've been buying into destructive advertising for decades. Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup (as well as the many other names sugar masquerades as) have been insidious in processed foods for most of our lives and I believe that's why we all have a sweet tooth today.

There are many Books, Documentaries, and Medical Reports describing what happens to to the body when it ingests these chemical compounds. It's not exactly optimal for health or weight loss (again, IMO). It was essential for me to educate myself about this so, of course, I think it's important for everyone to make informed decisions.

Dr. Lustig, is that you?