I want to scream

Options
I got down to 210 pounds. Then yesterday we were short on food. Dad had brought me a takeawaythe day before, Jamaican food, so I ate thr leftovers. I had a cup of the rice for breakfast, a cup for lunch and a cup for dinner with a 300 cal grilled chicken sandwich from McDonalds and a 90 calorie orange. There was no calorie info for the takeaway rice, but I didn't think it could be so bad. Today, from early this morning till now, 3 in the afternoon, I'm 210.6 pounds! I am SO frustrated. Holding myself back from throwing in the towel and stuffing my face with crap.

Replies

• incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    stephmph16 wrote: »
    Really?
    Yes.
  • marista228
    marista228 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it. My guess is it is just the high white carb intake. Don't weigh yourself more than once a day either. Your weight is going to fluctuate - you will drive yourself crazy! Just relax and don't let it shake you. Tomorrow is another day and for tomorrow try to stay away from carbs if you can. It will all even out
  • incisron
    Options
    I'm not really going to throw in the towel, but oh my GOD!!!
  • incisron
    Options
    Thanks. I hope so.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Or it's, you know, food in your digestive tract. Poo. It's really silly to weigh yourself more than once a day. Especially because it upsets you so much.
  • stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    stephmph16 wrote: »
    Really?
    Yes.

Ok then. First would be realizing 0.6 lbs is normal and not a big deal as weight fluctuates day to day. Second would be relaxing a bit, because you're wound really tight. You want to throw in the towel because the scale went up 0.6 lbs in a day?? Third would be rereading all of what I just said, because I'm pretty sure if you're freaking out about a 0.6 lb fluctuation between days you're gonna fight hearing any of this.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates throughout the day. It is not static. Stick to weighing in once a day, same time, same state of being. I personally weigh in first thing in the morning, naked, after peeing.

For future reference, your weight can also be affected by eating more carbs than usual, when you had your last bowel movement, your menstrual cycle (if applicable), and new exercise programs. Try not to freak out too much. It will even out.

I've learned a lot of things by watching my weight trends. Spaghetti for dinner? Up two pounds the next morning, every time. PMSing? Up four pounds that come off after TOM.

Depending on your personality, either don't weigh in so often, or weigh in every day and watch for trends. There are apps you can download to track your weight - HappyScale and trendweight are two. Only you know which will personally work for you.

All of this. Also, if you're not already doing so, I'd suggest you start using a weight trending app (Happy Scales, Libra, trendweight.com, etc), so that you'll keep your focus on your long term weight trend rather than normal, day-to-day weight fluctuations.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Dang I'd be thrilled if my weight in the afternoon only went up half a pound. It normally goes up at least 3 pounds. Because you know. Food isn't weightless and waste and water etc. Only weigh yourself in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates like that everyday, at lease mine does and sometimes more if I eat higher sodium, drink more water, it will be gone tomorrow or the next.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Dang I'd be thrilled if my weight in the afternoon only went up half a pound. It normally goes up at least 3 pounds. Because you know. Food isn't weightless and waste and water etc. Only weigh yourself in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom.
    I was thinking the same thing. I've seen as much as 3.9-4 lbs in a day. I'd happily take that .5
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Do you normally weigh yourself more than once/day? As others have said, its pretty common, if not inevitable, that you would weigh more later in the day than first thing in the morning due to added weight from consumed food.

I personally find I weigh ~2 lbs more at night before bed then I do each morning.

The kind of defeatist "I gained 0.6 lbs so I might as well give up and stuff my face with crap" thought process doesn't seem like a healthy mindset at all.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OK...Deep Breath!

1) Weight loss isn't linear. You will have days that you are up, and days that you are down. What matters is the overall trend, like from week-to-week, month-to-month. Weighing yourself every day (at the same time under the same circumstances) is a great way to notice those trends and remember them. I do this. But if you stress about it, perhaps it's better to put the scale away for a while, or weigh periodically, say once a week.

2) Your weight is comprised of many things. Lean mass, fat, bodily fluids, waste, food and liquid to name a few. If any one of things has more in you from one weigh-in to the next, you will weigh more. If you drink a bottle of water, that weight is inside of you and you weigh more on the scale. But do you count that as weighing more? Of course not. Which is why we weigh ourselves under similar circumstances, to take out as much of this unknown as possible.

3) People (especially women at certain times of the month) have weight fluctuations due to fluid retention. If you ate more sodium than normal yesterday, if it's your TOM or near ovulation, if you exercised more than normal over the last week, etc... you may be retaining fluid. No biggie, this is just one of those things to take notice of and recognize it for another time.

What is important here is that you not freak out or give up because of one day or even a few days. I shot up 4-5 pounds over the last week due to Christmas yummy foods/leftovers and my period starting yesterday. No biggie, I'll be back to where I was last week in a few days or so. Keep doing what you are doing, and you'll see results in the long term!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Takeaway anything = a *kitten* ton of sodium = water weight gain

• incisron
    Options
    Takeaway anything = a *kitten* ton of sodium = water weight gain

I thought that could possibly be the reason, but was not sure.
    Thanks, everybody, for taking time to reply to me freaking out.
  • incisron
    Options
    You know food has mass and weighs something, right? That is literally weight sitting in your stomach that hasn't finished moving through your digestive tract.

Even if it wasn't, and you had literally defecated all of the solid mass, you still would have been within a normal day's worth of weight fluctuation.

Edit: Ok, people just explained this to you a couple of days ago on this thread.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38431745#Comment_38431745

Honest question: this seems to be affecting you a LOT. Do you have some anxiety issues?

I'm not sure.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    I'm not really going to throw in the towel, but oh my GOD!!!

Dude...it's okay. I fluctuate 5lbs either way when I am maintaining and this is completely normal. I even go up by up to 10lbs for TOM...not fun.

Your fluctuation is most likely from the sodium in the rice. Don't give up. I highly recommend that you get an app like happy scale or use trendweight, weigh yourself every day and get used to your natural fluctuations. It will go a long way into helping you feel better from these fluctuations.