When it comes to your bmr and what counts as "activity"...

Options
I am a teacher... there are 3-4 days a week that i will run 3 miles and walk another half... on another note, at least 1 day, sometimes 2, i will do a 2 mile run... granted i am a big guy (260). Does this put me very active? I didn't knpw if there was a set time frame that had to be met for a workout to be considered a workout in itself... i wear a polar hr monitor with chest strap for all my exercise... the longer runs usually have over 750-800 calories burned... the shorter around 500. Would you consider me very active in regards to the exercise modifier? I want to make sure my calories are being estimated as accurately as possible.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are you using to calculate your calories? If it's a TDEE calculator, then moderately active could be okay. If it's MFP, then exercise is not included. Most teachers I've seen will set themselves as lightly active, then you would log exercise separately and eat a portion of those calories back.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise on mfp... i have just used a generic tdee calc and i set it to mod active since i feel i do exercise 5-7 times a week. I dont care a bit to under estimate... just dont want to over estimate... it wont break my heart to lose 3 pounds a week for a bit until i get out of this obese category
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So on MFP, the estimation of calories by them isnt based on exercise? I guess i wonder how accurate it is? I'm sure they tend to be lower than others, right?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    MFP uses BMR + Activity Level to estimate daily calories excluding purposeful exercise.

To get your MFP BMR, use the web version APPS > BMR calculator.

Add 25% for Sedentary (Not Very Active), i.e. BMR x 1.25
    Add 40% for Lightly Active, i.e. BMR x 1.40
    Add 60% for Active, i.e. BMR x 1.60
    Add 80% for Very Active, i.e. BMR x 1.80