Pregnancy question

Options
I'm stuck. Ok, I'm ready to have a baby but I'm considered overweight by 30-35 lbs.

So my question is: would it be better to lose weight first, then get pregnant and lose weight again after? OR. Get pregnant now and become bigger than I ever have and lose all the weight at once?

I've been eating pretty healthy and I'm going to workout soon. I'm torn on what would be better? I don't know! Help me decide lol

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    LisaTcan wrote: »
    It can take a healthy couple up to a year to get pregnant so I wouldn't put it off because of your weight. Overweight people don't need to gain as much during pregnancy (typically like 15-20 lbs). I was a low/healthy weight when I got pregnant and I gained 40lbs but lost 20 of those within a month. So if you eat well and exercise during pregnancy you probably won't have much if anything to lose.

I was debating whether to put off getting pregnant until I had a permanent job but ended up getting pregnant and then found a great job four months later and it all worked out, there will never be a perfect time to have kids.

This. If you start being more conscious of making good choices and keeping portion sizes reasonable, it will only help you both during and after pregnancy. And it can take you several months of TTC before you get pregnant. Go ahead and start tracking intake and being more active now. Once you get that positive pregnancy test, keep tracking, but eat at maintenance for the first trimester, and talk to you doc at your first prenatal appt about what a healthy total amount and rate of gain for you would be. Then adjust intake accordingly. You want to gain enough to sustain a healthy pregnancy, without gaining more than needed. If you start developing the habits now, you will be ahead of the game. And, fwiw, I've had four children. The last pregnancy was the one where I really tracked intake and kept exercising regularly. I gained the same with the other three pregnancies, but it came off much faster this last time, despite being nearly a decade older than my first time around. Having those habits in place helps, especially in the fog of sleep deprivation that is life with a newborn!

Good luck to you!

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'd seriously suggest first losing the majority of your excess weight.