logging peeled apples

Options
Hamsibian
Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
edited December 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have to peel apples since they're difficult for me to digest. I can't seem to find consistent information in the database, and google/usda didn't help. Is there an accurate way to log peeled apples? Does it make a difference if I log them as regular apples?

By the way, and I do weigh them.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    Just make your own entry.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Search for "apples raw without skin"

6zc6bhooe139.jpg
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Oooh thanks! I searched the usda site, but it kept highlighting the dried peeled apple snacks. I never saw this option. I will add this :)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Because I'm curious, how many calories did you gain by taking the skin off?

Too lazy to look it up myself:).
  • CyberTone
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Oooh thanks! I searched the usda site, but it kept highlighting the dried peeled apple snacks. I never saw this option. I will add this :)

On the USDA site, use the drop-down under Select Source and choose Standard Reference to limit the predictive text search to the older database only.
  • CyberTone
    Options

It is not only Calories, there are also slight differences in the micronutrients. There are more Cals, potassium, Dietary Fiber, and vitamins with the skin.

0kallc6e78ft.jpg
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I wasn't being snide I was truly curious about the calories.

I can see where the nutrients are important as well.
  • CyberTone
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry I wasn't being snide I was truly curious about the calories.

I can see where the nutrients are important as well.

Oh, no problem. I didn't read anything into your question. I just wanted to point out the differences.

I don't eat too many apples, but when I do eat one raw I eat the skin and even the core. Because I only eat them occasionally, I don't worry about the trace amounts of cyanide in the seeds. It hasn't bothered me yet.
  • Hamsibian
    edited December 2016
    Options

I eat homemade apple sauce. When I logged with the right information, there was probably a difference of about 30 calories. Not much, but that is okay since I am trying to gain lol.

CyberTone wrote: »
    Hamsibian wrote: »

On the USDA site, use the drop-down under Select Source and choose Standard Reference to limit the predictive text search to the older database only.

Thanks, I will do that in the future!