Do you feel suppliments, protein are necessities in weight-loss?

Options
Do most that have over 50 pounds to lose use suppliments to aid the process? Such as bcaa, protein, creatine, etc?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian but rarely eat fish so I do use a protein supplement in my coffee to help meet my protein needs.

ETA- I don't feel it's a necessity though.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Haha. Fixed it.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Nope. Lost 50lbs and the only thing I did was eat at the correct calorie deficit for my weight goals.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big milk drinker. So in order to help drop the weight (75 lbs) I restricted my intake of dairy, because it became more important to eat my calories than drink them. And being over 60, my doctor gave me a calcium supplement to make sure I still got enough.

But other than that, nothing.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Not at all. However, when i cut calories, I prefer to use protein powder because chicken breast gets monotonous. Also, I am a big believer in B vitamins, vitamin D. Helps me a lot with energy and mood.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Never used one. Don't plan on it
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary for weight loss. I take some supplements for other reasons.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Protein is pretty important but you can get it from your food. Some people use a supplement for convenience but it's not necessary at all.

As for other supplements - most of them are snake oil.

Even basic vitamin supplements have a poorer evidence base than you'd think, in a lot of cases there is little evidence for the idea that the vitamin has the same effect in supplement form as it does in the context of the food it comes from. I'm not saying some supplements, like iron, calcium, vitamin C etc aren't helpful, but in general there is more evidence that adjusting your diet to get these nutrients from your food is probably a better option. Of course that isn't always possible, and that's where supplements come in - they're a sticking plaster, not an ideal solution at all.

When supplements are marketed as a first resort, or as a weight loss aid - and I'm including those multivitamins advertised with happy smiling sexy people on the back of buses, apparently optimised for men or women or teenagers or whichever group they've decided to milk- pure first press extra virgin snake oil. Save your money.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Do most that have over 50 pounds to lose use suppliments to aid the process? Such as bcaa, protein, creatine, etc?

They aren't needed but can be convenient and helpful. I've used it myself and lost 30 pounds.
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm doing veganuary with the hope to becoming vegan longer term, so yes I think it's needed in my case.
    After planning my foods, I feel my protein is a little low so will supplement until I've learned more about the diet and can get enough protein. Will also be supplementing vegan multivitamins and omega oils - again just until I have learnt enough to get the right nutrients via food.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I'm just tracking what I eat and staying within calories set by MFP, so far I'm down 45 lbs.