Starting Keto today

Options
2»

Replies

• eivy_adams
    eivy_adams Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I have just started Keto today ( vegetarian). And looks like I managed to get Carbs on track and even reach my Fat target, however I am down by 90g ( 110 g is a goal) of my protein. So obviously something went wrong. Plus I still have almost 400 kcal left.

For the beginner what would be the most important target to reach? Any advice on how to balance my meals to increase protein and still keep carbs on track.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    eivy_adams wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I have just started Keto today ( vegetarian). And looks like I managed to get Carbs on track and even reach my Fat target, however I am down by 90g ( 110 g is a goal) of my protein. So obviously something went wrong. Plus I still have almost 400 kcal left.

For the beginner what would be the most important target to reach? Any advice on how to balance my meals to increase protein and still keep carbs on track.

You want to hit protein, try not to pass your carb goal, and adjust fat as needed. If hungry, eat more fats. If not hungry, and you want a 1000kcal day, eat fewer fats but try to hit your protein minimum- or close to it.... Now that's minimum protein. Usually close to 50-60g for a woman. Mine is set at 71 g, or close to 20% of a 1500kcal diet. 110g is fairly high so if you miss it sometimes, I wouldn't worry.

90g of protein is plenty. If you don't want more you could skip the protein. If still hungry and you want to hit that macro, you'll need lean protein - maybe a protein powder.
  • eivy_adams
    Options
    Hi,

thanks for your reply. I think because im new im still struggling to understand and set my goals clearly. After doing keto calculator my gaols are:

1330kcal
    25g Carbs
    109g Fat
    118g Protein

now you mentioned that you on so much lower about of protein. I managed to reach my fats and just few grams above in carbs. but not eve half way on protein.

What is more I have heard that you need to minus fiber from cars. can you please explain that :)

thanks
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi,

thanks for your reply. I think because im new im still struggling to understand and set my goals clearly. After doing keto calculator my gaols are:

1330kcal
    25g Carbs
    109g Fat
    118g Protein

now you mentioned that you on so much lower about of protein. I managed to reach my fats and just few grams above in carbs. but not eve half way on protein.

What is more I have heard that you need to minus fiber from cars. can you please explain that :)

thanks

Can your diary public please? It would help me get an idea about what could I eat. I have been searching for quite some time but wasn't really successful making a plan for myself :(
  • eivy_adams
    Options
    oh sure just tell me how :) I like creating recipes and im planning to start posting my meals on facebook page you can fine me :Vega Pega goes Healthy ( on facebook)
  • eivy_adams
    Options

[/quote]

Can your diary public please? It would help me get an idea about what could I eat. I have been searching for quite some time but wasn't really successful making a plan for myself :([/quote]

Hey just did you can find it now. But I only add items or recipes. so it might not be helpful. But today was a good day, I met my carbs and my Fat and only very little behind with my protein.

Ill see how this week will go and once ill feel comfortable I will post foods on facebook page :)
  • taryninoly
    taryninoly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My diary is public and I just started keto yesterday... so far so good :)
  • taryninoly
    taryninoly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Also- can I add fiber into my macro graph/circle? I want to look at my net carbs vs gross carbs for the day.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Hi,

1330kcal
    25g Carbs
    109g Fat
    118g Protein

thanks

Your protein would be set at a level of someone who loves protein, and who is doing some hard lifting for muscle gains (like a bulk or recomp). Many don't need it that high, but keep it high if you like it high. Do what works for you. :)

You don't NEED to minus fibre from carbs. That would be called net carbs. Some people prefer to go with net carbs. It helps them to consider nutritional superior carbs like veggies (which has a lot of fibre) versus a processed carby food with lower fibre. People who like to maximize their carb intake find they can eat more carbs when those carbs are high in fibre. For example, someone may be able to stay in ketosis at 50g of total carbs if all carbs are high in fibre; it may only be 25g of net carbs. This will vary between people and is less true for those of us with insulin resistance.

I go with 20-30 g of total carbs, and those carbs are in veggies, nuts, and incidental carbs in eggs, meats, and dairy. It is just easier for me because nutritional labels here (canada) give total carbs. To get net carbs I need to do some math, and I don't want to do that for all of my foods. Besides, I KNOW my veggies and nuts are high in fibre so I feel no need to track it. ;)

Do what works for you. :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Oops. I forgot to add that the Low Carber Daily MFP group has a way to set up your dairy so net carbs is shown. It's listed in our launch pad sticky somewhere.
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Here's a good supplement to take for Keto Flu. It's called 40,000 volts by Trace Minerals
    https://amazon.com/Trace-Minerals-000-Volts-8-Ounce/dp/B000Z98KF8?th=1