not able to exercise

Options
can you still lose weight if you cannot exercise? i have always been very active but now i am waiting for surgery on spine, at present i have trouble even walking, so sitting around i have gained POUNDS !!

Replies

• wayne2017
    wayne2017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Am sure is exercises you can do sitting down. That's if it don't put you in pain
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight without exercise, set up your MFP profile to lose weight, make sure you choose sedentary level for activity, this will provide you with the appropriate calories for weight loss.

MFP calories are before exercise and generally it is advised that those who do exercise consume some or all those exercise calories back.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise.

Be diligent about accuracy in tracking your calories.

Best of luck with your surgery, I hope it brings you relief.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I lost 160 pounds in 2015 with just a calorie deficit. I did not have surgery either. I wish I was able to exercise, as I was left skinny fat with a 22 BMI.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can, but you should be aware that you won't be able to eat as much as you did when you were active. Set your profile to sedentary, and MFP will tell you how many calories you can eat and still lose weight.

Normally, I would suggest trying to make sure you were still getting physical activity from walking and similar as part of daily life, but if walking causes you pain, that should probably wait until after you recover from your surgery.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Yes you can-just eat at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals :)
  • gnu4liberty
    gnu4liberty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have MS and don't exercise. I lost weight by keeping calories right.