Hello!! 60ish, Aspie, GERD & ILD, multiple food allergies, forager & want to find others

Options
My goodness, there are a lot of posts here! If you are retirement aged and seeing multiple health issues that may/may not be related to weight, I would love to read your posts, encourage you, and have honest, encouraging feedback from you.

I'm an Aspie, which means I Asperger's syndrome, a disorder in the autism spectrum. Some people think I am unfeeling because my feelings don't always show on my face. I feel quite deeply. I hurt when I am insulted, and I hurt when I unintentionally insult others.

The lung doctor said I have low oxygen from being obese and from inhaling food particles during sleep. I don't think that's the cause but I must lose weight to prove it.

I love to forage for foods! Do you have a favorite wild food?

Replies

• Lostyourchariot
    Lostyourchariot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Aleahurst,

I don't tick all the boxes but we seem to have some things in common. I am 60 and although I have never been diagnosed with autism, I am sure I have many of the traits myself.

I suffer from migraine, and these seem to be triggered by certain food intolerances, notably the citrus and nightshade families. Now I am older my reaction does not seem to be nearly so bad, and I suppose I have just learned to avoid triggers.

While I don't specifically forage, I am interested in old foods. I have joined a group which is trying to preserve old apple varieties and have 16 apple trees myself, including historic varieties. I have been known to make nettle soup and gather blackberries. There is a wonderful cherry tree in the street outside my house, and I seem to be the only one who ventures out to pick them. I have tried eating ground elder, which I have had explained as the only way to keep it under control.

I also spin (yarn) and like to dye using natural plants - just this summer discovered wisteria dyes a wonderful primrose yellow.

I have always been fat, and over the years managed to get to 17st 2 (240 lbs). Going on holiday last March to Japan to visit my daughter and combining a bad bout of food-poisoning with my daughter's concept of a nice walk being a 7 km hike up a 1 in 4 mountain, I came back with an 11lb weight-loss. Happily the local school also had a special offer on gym membership, so I have joined the local swimming pool and till recently was swimming at least twice a week. I'm finding swimming, walking and using MFP and a Fitbit to keep my calories below 1860 a day led to a fairly sensible weight loss. Unfortunately a bad bout of cold/bronchitis and the Christmas goodies has put me back up 3lbs, but hopefully a New Year's resolution will be getting back on the wagon.
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Lostyourchariot, you sound fascinating!

Apple, blackberry, and nettle are "my" idea of foraging. Funny that things I once took for granted (doesn't everyone know how to pick a raspberry?), are now foraging skills.

Sorry to hear about the bronchitis. That can be a long lasting battle, but how wonderful that you lost 11 pounds!

When I first got lung disease, I was so sick that I lost over five pounds before even getting to the doctor. At least it was a loss! He put me on oxygen and losing weight became work.

Thank you for your note. Have a wonderful New Year's Day. Hope to see more notes after you make your New Year's resolution.