How to eat a healthful diet

Options
Come talk about how you are improving your nutrition, or what struggles you are encountering.

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with how I eat, and have been very successful with both my weight and health goals, but I'm currently playing around with how to incorporate more 'out of the norm' veggies in my diet and expand my horizons a bit more :) I just discovered how awesome sweet mini peppers are (red and yellows) - sliced and mixed with fresh spinach, cold cooked bacon crumbled, with low calorie Italian dressing. Two veggies I don't eat a lot of that I'm now eating almost every day-score!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with how I eat, and have been very successful with both my weight and health goals, but I'm currently playing around with how to incorporate more 'out of the norm' veggies in my diet and expand my horizons a bit more :) I just discovered how awesome sweet mini peppers are (red and yellows) - sliced and mixed with fresh spinach, cold cooked bacon crumbled, with low calorie Italian dressing. Two veggies I don't eat a lot of that I'm now eating almost every day-score!

Do you eat the seeds in those mini bell peppers? I've eaten stray seeds in peppers on occasion and they haven't taken away from the experience at all. I'm thinking that prep for those mini bell peppers would be easier if I just ate the seeds.

• manther88
    manther88 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to sugar really bad. I used to only eat processed foods every day. Snacks instead of meals. I gained weight off and on but mainly maintained it.

But I had a weird spell last week into this week and I didn't want to eat anything at all so I took that time to change what I would consume. Threw out all the sweets and processed foods. So now I'm about 95% eating Whole Foods. I occasionally eat a tortilla if I'm craving carbs (sugar craving) but that's going bye bye.

So I'm basically eating just meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and beans. I'm not a fan of grease and I can live without dairy and grains. So I'm set. I just started a few days ago so no weight loss yet but I've noticed a change in other things :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I eat a varied and nutritious diet consisting largely of whole foods. I eat my veggies, a couple servings of fruit, whole grains, lots of lentils, legumes, whole food starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes and other root vegetables...lean sources of protein (we eat mostly fish and some chicken...beef and pork more occasionally), and healthy fats from things like avocados, nuts, nut butters, good cooking oils, etc...

I round that out with having some pizza from time to time...enjoying some fish 'n chips at my favorite pub, eating a rack of ribs on occasion, etc...My 6 year old and I had a daddy and son afternoon yesterday and we went to McDonalds...a rare treat.

I've encountered no struggles...I enjoy eating well and a good nutritional profile doesn't have to mean bland or boring and the "junk" in my diet is not particularly material to the whole so I don't get all worked up about that...
  • crzycatlady1
    Options

Do you eat the seeds in those mini bell peppers? I've eaten stray seeds in peppers on occasion and they haven't taken away from the experience at all. I'm thinking that prep for those mini bell peppers would be easier if I just ate the seeds.

When I cut the tops off I just shake them out. They don't have a lot of seeds in them though, compared to regular sized peppers :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    One thing I've noticed since I started losing weight was the variety of foods I consume has increased. Funny because normally one might expect the opposite to be true..
    A few examples: I've learned that I really love Brussels sprouts when they are roasted with garlic. So much so that I, a self proclaimed french fry addict, barely even want fries anymore. I developed a taste for red peppers, which I always disliked as a kid. I never ate pork until I noticed the calorie counts were lower in several pork dishes at the restaurants I frequent. I tried rainbow trout, and discovered I love it. I also learned better ways to prepare and use herbs and spices (like buying cinnamon in chunks, toasting it, and then grinding it fresh, rather than buying pre-ground....ohhh, the difference!!)
    Anyway, when I learned to expand my horizons and develop my palate instead of trying to cut out everything, I feel like my diet and my quality of life has improved overall.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I hit up the store 3-4 times a week and am always making plans for meals for the next couple of days so I don't get caught out without what I need. I have a notebook that has to do lists and stuff for work and home and it's also full of shopping lists and meal plans. I know what's in the cupboard and fridge at all times.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    manther88 wrote: »
    I was addicted to sugar really bad. I used to only eat processed foods every day. Snacks instead of meals. I gained weight off and on but mainly maintained it.

But I had a weird spell last week into this week and I didn't want to eat anything at all so I took that time to change what I would consume. Threw out all the sweets and processed foods. So now I'm about 95% eating Whole Foods. I occasionally eat a tortilla if I'm craving carbs (sugar craving) but that's going bye bye.

So I'm basically eating just meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and beans. I'm not a fan of grease and I can live without dairy and grains. So I'm set. I just started a few days ago so no weight loss yet but I've noticed a change in other things :)

A diet of meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and beans sounds healthy enough, although it would feel overly restrictive to me. My husband is lactose intolerant so avoids most dairy, and he misses out on some wonderful foods if you ask me. There was a time when he thought dairy caused cancer (I think there has been an association with a minuscule increase in colon cancer), but he's since climbed down off that ledge. Can I ask your reason for avoiding dairy? And grains?

I can see now why someone else suggested that these kinds of threads so frequently devolve into a heated argument about what constitutes a healthful diet. I'm just going to leave the sugar addiction and processed food comments alone, except to say that for anyone new to these forums it's worth doing a search and having a look at the discussions we have frequently about these two topics.

• goldthistime
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat a varied and nutritious diet consisting largely of whole foods. I eat my veggies, a couple servings of fruit, whole grains, lots of lentils, legumes, whole food starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes and other root vegetables...lean sources of protein (we eat mostly fish and some chicken...beef and pork more occasionally), and healthy fats from things like avocados, nuts, nut butters, good cooking oils, etc...

I round that out with having some pizza from time to time...enjoying some fish 'n chips at my favorite pub, eating a rack of ribs on occasion, etc...My 6 year old and I had a daddy and son afternoon yesterday and we went to McDonalds...a rare treat.

I've encountered no struggles...I enjoy eating well and a good nutritional profile doesn't have to mean bland or boring and the "junk" in my diet is not particularly material to the whole so I don't get all worked up about that...

Your diet sounds close to my own version of ideal. I'm not there yet. I especially love that this diet enables you to stay mostly on track without counting calories (barring reduced exercise due to injuries as I know you endured last year).

• crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options

A diet of meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and beans sounds healthy enough, although it would feel overly restrictive to me. My husband is lactose intolerant so avoids most dairy, and he misses out on some wonderful foods if you ask me. There was a time when he thought dairy caused cancer (I think there has been an association with a minuscule increase in colon cancer), but he's since climbed down off that ledge. Can I ask your reason for avoiding dairy? And grains?

I can see now why someone else suggested that these kinds of threads so frequently devolve into a heated argument about what constitutes a healthful diet. I'm just going to leave the sugar addiction and processed food comments alone, except to say that for anyone new to these forums it's worth doing a search and having a look at the discussions we have frequently about these two topics.

It's so hard to let it go though, lol. I'm resisting and so far I'm being 'good' :D
  • goldthistime
    Options
    One thing I've noticed since I started losing weight was the variety of foods I consume has increased. Funny because normally one might expect the opposite to be true..
    A few examples: I've learned that I really love Brussels sprouts when they are roasted with garlic. So much so that I, a self proclaimed french fry addict, barely even want fries anymore. I developed a taste for red peppers, which I always disliked as a kid. I never ate pork until I noticed the calorie counts were lower in several pork dishes at the restaurants I frequent. I tried rainbow trout, and discovered I love it. I also learned better ways to prepare and use herbs and spices (like buying cinnamon in chunks, toasting it, and then grinding it fresh, rather than buying pre-ground....ohhh, the difference!!)
    Anyway, when I learned to expand my horizons and develop my palate instead of trying to cut out everything, I feel like my diet and my quality of life has improved overall.

I tried rainbow trout myself this summer and loved it. I can't stomach a few varieties of fish (not just dislike, my gag reflex kicks in if I just try to power through), so I was happy to have trout added to my repertoire.

Is the cinnamon any cheaper that way or just better tasting?

Are these Brussels sprouts fresh or frozen?

• goldthistime
    Options
    I hit up the store 3-4 times a week and am always making plans for meals for the next couple of days so I don't get caught out without what I need. I have a notebook that has to do lists and stuff for work and home and it's also full of shopping lists and meal plans. I know what's in the cupboard and fridge at all times.

Does this system of yours include ways to reduce or eliminate vegetables going bad in the fridge? I'm sickened when we've been that wasteful, yet it happens over and over.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Does this system of yours include ways to reduce or eliminate vegetables going bad in the fridge? I'm sickened when we've been that wasteful, yet it happens over and over.

Not the original poster, but my trick is to wash and chop them as soon as i get home from the store. I used to store them all whole, so they would last longer, but then I'd just procrastinate prepping them and they would go bad anyway. I also keep a dry erase board by the fridge with a list of the produce in the fridge and the date in went in there.

I bought those green containers and they have been hit or miss for me. Sometimes it seems i get several extra days when I use them, but sometimes I think it's some kind of placebo effect. They look cute in my fridge though!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to minimize processed food, added sugars and just clean it up a bit. We went a bit crazy over the holidays with lots of baked goods and rich food. I feel sluggish at the gym and know that cleaning up the diet will help. My focus is on eating at least 6 servings of fruits and veggies per day, lean proteins, healthy fats and carbs, and drinking lots of water. Had a good first day and looking forward to tomorrow!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Here in the uk you can get lactose free versions of most dairy products. Also if it's just lactose (rather than actual dairy ) then hard cheeses are lower in lactose than soft cheeses.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I think my diet is pretty healthy, but it has been for years. I'm a good cook, and I like my own cooking. More importantly, I enjoy cooking. I like a wide variety of vegetables and enjoy preparing them.

I'm a vegetarian, and most of my diet consists of whole foods. The majority of my protein comes from either cottage cheese or egg whites, though we occasionally eat Beyond Beef crumbles. We also like lentils and black beans (the we being my daughter and I). My son and husband are omnivores and I cook meat for them. The menu is rounded out by different vegetables and starches, usually potatoes or bean pasta (since I have celiac disease and can't have gluten, and I've come to prefer bean pasta over rice pasta) or corn tortillas.

My daughter and I also do like smoothies made with protein powder and different fruit/vegetables for additional protein.

Now, here and there I have some chocolate or a few cookies or ice cream, but for the most part, those things are not the majority of my diet. I also have a real weakness for popcorn, but I consider that to be a pretty healthy snack, especially since I prepare it with an air popper.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm reasonably happy with how I eat -- I think my basic diet is pretty nutritious and I tend to enjoy/crave foods that would normally be considered nutrient-dense for the most part. My idea of what a meal is has generally always been about half vegetables (usually cooked with a little fat, mostly olive oil), some protein, maybe some fruit or whole food carb or whole grain, and that's how I eat when I stick to meals (how much meat I eat varies a good amount, as I go through periods where I eat it most days and others where I'm basically vegetarian, but my ideal is to eat meat, with a significant portion of that being fish (which I love), about 3-5 days per week). My struggle is with mindless eating and snacking mindlessly when stressed, so I'm refocusing on just not doing that and also on really enjoying/appreciating my normal meals more. I'm going to try to keep track of whether what I eat (playing around with macros) makes a difference in when I tend to want to snack over the first part of the year -- I don't think it does, I don't think my tendency to overeat is hunger-driven at all -- but I'm curious if there might be some subconscious effect I'm not seeing.