January "Start the day off right" Challenge

Options
alipsie19
alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
Alright folks, 2017 is here!
It's time to make healthy changes in our life. This challenge is for anyone who has ever used the excuse "I didn't have time to workout today." We've all said this at one point or another in our life. So why not get out of bed and get something done that you'll be proud of before everything else in your day gets in the way.

0rjzrr2zbq24.jpg

This challenge has two parts: one physical and one mental.

The Physical part: this is designed to wake the body up. The only equipment required is two water bottles.
SQUATS - no weight, deep squats. These can be done holding on to something like a doorjam if needed.
HIP BRIDGES - no weight, 1 sec squeeze at the top.
PLANK - any variety (straight arm, elbow, side, reverse, on knees, etc)
PUSH-UPS - proper, on knees, elevated on the counter, etc.
BICEPS CURLS - these are done holding a standard water bottle in each hand.
HANDSTAND PUSH-UPS - done holding a hand stand against a wall (shoes will mark up the wall), head stands are acceptable. If you can do reps that's awesome too
WALL SIT PUNCHES - legs at 90degrees, alternate your arms while punching
SPLITS - hold the position, Chinese or American, for the designated time.

The Mental part: simply log into the challenge each day and let us know how you did. It can be something as simple as "Day 4 complete" or more informative "Day 17 complete. Tried HS reps today and got 2!! The splits are still kicking my butt though I'm making progress"

The challenge, even on Jan 31, should not take more than 10 minutes.

So here's to starting off 2017 on a good note!

Replies

• Serenade_N
    Serenade_N Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Im in - up for the challenge especially the hand stand (HS) & splits!!
  • alipsie19
    Options
    Jan 1: Done
  • Serenade_N
    Options
    Good mix of compound workouts! Thanks!! Couldn't get the HS, so put legs on stairs instead and gonna work up to it
  • Serenade_N
    Options
    Jan 1st done!
  • alipsie19
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Good job girl! Legs on the stairs or even on a chair is good. Try to hold a bent waist, pike position. It better simulates the end goal.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Just did day one. The splits are tough for me, have to work on them!
  • alipsie19
    Options
    onward1 wrote: »
    I'm in. Just did day one. The splits are tough for me, have to work on them!

Welcome to the challenge!!
    Yeah, they're tough for me too! That was my primary reason for incorporating them; I had to work one of my weaknesses.
  • alipsie19
    Options
    Jan 2: Done
  • Serenade_N
    Options
    alipsie19 wrote: »
    Good job girl! Legs on the stairs or even on a chair is good. Try to hold a bent waist, pike position. It better simulates the end goal.

That's a very helpful tip thank you!!
    It's not just core but my upper body that getting worked with this!

Jan 2nd: done
  • onward1
    Options
    Day 2- done
  • aerdna88
    aerdna88 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • alipsie19
    Options
    @aerdna88 Welcome to the Challenge!
  • alipsie19
    Options
    Jan 3: Done
  • Serenade_N
    Options
    Jan 3rd - done.
    Wondering how everyone else is getting on with hand stand push ups?
    Have done it with pike position bent at waist now and for the first time today feel in better control. Just realised its rest day tomorrow-came around quick!:)
  • alipsie19
    Options
    @Serenade_N Good job girl! You'll have your feet up against that wall in no time at all :smiley: I programmed the rest days in for two reasons 1. This is a full body challenge and the body needs it, 2. I often forget to take rest days

Enjoy while you can!! :wink:
  • alipsie19
    Options
    Jan 4: Rest day
    I <3 rest days lol
  • onward1
    Options
    Serenade_N wrote: »
    Jan 3rd - done.
    Wondering how everyone else is getting on with hand stand push ups?
    Have done it with pike position bent at waist now and for the first time today feel in better control. Just realised its rest day tomorrow-came around quick!:)

I walk up the wall backwards. I know that sounds weird, wish I could explain better. I lay on the floor, like you're going to do a pushup, your feet are touching the wall, then walk up it backwards, moving your feet up as you inch back with your hands. I can only hold with my arms locked, lol, I'm afraid to even try doing a push-up from that position. Someday. It's the splits that are killing me, the past 3 days I've gotten a cramp, one of those painful, stop what you're doing and stretch it out cramps. Torture.

Day 3 done- didn't log last night........also I did the routine just now thinking it would be the same for day 4, came here to check only to find out it's a day off. Next time I'll check first, for sure. :)

• alipsie19
    Options
    Jan 5: Done - didn't actually get it done until this evening, but yesterday I had family issues that creeped into today.
  • alipsie19
    Options
    @onward1 great technique. I forgot about that one. :smiley:
  • alipsie19
    Options
    Jan 5: Done