Planet Fitness Is The Worst Gym In Existence

Options

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I went there 60 lb dumbbells was the highest weight killed it for me. Powerhouse gym I currently belong to has 190 lbs dumbbells I use 110 for several lifts so it just made sense. Money $235 a year vs $120 a year its worth it to be in an atmosphere of heavy lifters rather than offending a Planet Fitness member.. The planet fitness "Judgement free" commercials are a JOKE..
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I've been a PF member since around the middle of last summer. That was after about 4 years at a gym called Club Metro. I would still be a member there except they closed the one I joined and transferred my membership to another location. That was fine until the end of 2015 we, (my daughter had joined too) were notified that they "had" to raise the dues from $19.95/month to $39.95/month. Oh, but we would get so many added perks! Too bad none of them were worth double the money. To us, anyway. It's like a car dealer telling me that for an extra $20 a month, they could install a bidet in my trunk. Well isn't that wonderful but I'm never gonna use it. Anyway, my daughter wound up going to PF and decided to sign up. She opted for the Black membership so she would have access to other clubs (a waste of money in my opinion). I decided to go for the base membership. $10/month on a month to month basis. As others have said, depending on your goals, this gym might not be for you but for the price, what is available and the hours, it's been fine. Just my 2¢.

BTW, before joining, I did research PF. Yes, there are horror stories out there but as someone else mentioned here, I think a lot has to do with individual locations. Someone else mentioned they didn't care for the fact that PF won't accept credit cards. From my research, I was expecting the same thing but the franchise I joined was happy to accept my credit card. Another example of how the location may be the issue, from the horror stories I'd read on line, I was really prepared for a battle when we cancelled our memberships at Club Metro. Maybe these other people who complained of problems really were dealing with unscrupulous swine or maybe they just couldn't follow directions but we never had an issue.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it serves a purpose.
    It is good for people who want to check a box- or who have no need to do big movements.
    It's also a SPLENDID cheap 2nd gym. I've considered getting a 10$ pass to the local gym myself- because 10$ and free pizza- I cannot even order pizza that cheap. so if I get 1 whole pizza out of it a month- it's paid for itself and I"ve eaten- WIN! free food = mustacian savings- and I'm all about that life.

I HATE their hypocritical advertising- because they are the judgiest gym alive. Plain and simple. I get that it's marketing- but it's hypocrisy at it's finest.

Otherwise- meh- I don't bother.

It's not a gym for me regularly- I'd gladly use it as a second gym- but otherwise it suits people fine- I think people are delusional that it's a safe space- or it's not judgmental- but whatever that's 100% not my problem.

We posts like this all the time- and I'm quite frankly not sure why you posted it other than to stir the proverbial pot.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I think some missed my point. I wasn't speaking to the results being mediocre. Hell, you can go to a riverbed and move rocks around and build muscle. I was talking specifically about the mindset of the people whom their advertising appeals to. The kind of person who is less likely to be going to the gym to improve themselves, than to shut up a spouse, a doctor, whatever. The "I'm trying" but not really trying crowd.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Double post, my bad.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have no strong feelings about PF. I find their advertising less offensive than those disgusting teratoma-like rats that Quiznos used in its commercials several years ago.

The Sponge Monkeys?? Those were hilarious! I loved them :D
  • MNFitnessGal
    MNFitnessGal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I really like my PF location. It's quiet and I don't really need any assistance, we'll see how it is in January though. If you have problems, definitely speak up. It's not worth the cost if you are unhappy. I am on a month to month so I can quit any time and love that option. Hoping to use it more this month.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    One is opening up here. I'll stick to the Y, but they have a pool.

Sounds like pf is catering to a certain crowd. I don't like being told what weight, or exercises I can't do. Doubt I'll ever find myself in one.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I went there 60 lb dumbbells was the highest weight killed it for me. Powerhouse gym I currently belong to has 190 lbs dumbbells I use 110 for several lifts so it just made sense. Money $235 a year vs $120 a year its worth it to be in an atmosphere of heavy lifters rather than offending a Planet Fitness member.. The planet fitness "Judgement free" commercials are a JOKE..

No one starts out using 110 let alone 190 pound dumbbells. Clearly PF is not the gym for you. But I think it serves an important niche. I'm sorry the advertising offends a lot of you, but you're not the target audience.

I'm currently going to a women-only gym. It's right around the corner from my house, which is where I work. I love being able to go at lunch time. The dumbbells only go up to 55 pounds. Right now the highest I'm using is 30. Should I regularly need heavier weights, I will look for an alternative. And I'll probably pick the PF that is going in down the street, as I've learned that location is really, really important for me.

I'll save my outrage regarding corporate policy for banks like Wells Fargo and meat/dairy producing companies that treat their animals cruelly.

Why are you sorry that the advertisment offends some? Are you the CEO of PF? :huh: