Afraid to eat sweets

Options
I'm afraid to eat sweets because I have never been able to keep from bingeing on them. Once I start I can't quit. That is how I keep regaining the weight. I have dieted my entire life & never kept it off for more than a year. I would like to be able to have one item without eating the whole thing or package.

Replies

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Make it fit in your calorie goals. Even if it's daily, if you make it fit, it won't be a problem. I just had a rice krispie treat and it fit perfectly. :smile:
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Is there someone in your life who can leave one "surprise" sweet item out for you randomly? You could eat it, knowing there would be no more to follow until the next day. Or maybe purchase a single candy bar or baked item each day?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. If self control with regard to sweets is a long standing issue for you, I'm not sure how advice like, "just make it fit into your daily calorie goals" is going to help. Maybe try one of those kitchen/food safes can come with a built-in timed lock?
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options
    That's a tough one. If self control with regard to sweets is a long standing issue for you, I'm not sure how advice like, "just make it fit into your daily calorie goals" is going to help. Maybe try one of those kitchen/food safes can come with a built-in timed lock?

If she has a self control issue, any attempt at restricting sweets will backfire and lead to a binge. The best way to learn self-control is through moderation, especially when it comes to food.
  • CafeRacer808
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

If she has a self control issue, any attempt at restricting sweets will backfire and lead to a binge. The best way to learn self-control is through moderation, especially when it comes to food.

The kitchen safe I was referring to was designed to enable moderation, not restriction.
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options

The kitchen safe I was referring to was designed to enable moderation, not restriction.

That would be a good tool then. :smiley:
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I started by not bringing into the house things I couldn't moderate in the multiple serving size, I didn't restrict them I just bought single serving size.

For example my sweet fix is hershey's kisses in the small packet. If I eat the whole packet its 220 calories. I'm able to eat only a few most days.

Not sure if this will help you but it helps me.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options

That would be a good tool then. :smiley:

Hence the suggestion. B)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I don't keep them in the house. If I want a sweet treat, I'll budget for it in my calories; then I'll go out and get a serving -- a candy bar from the convenience store, a dish of ice cream from the dairy, something baked from the bakery.

Not keeping them in the house keeps me from over-indulging on them. Going out for them makes it a special occasion and a bit of a ritual. It makes it special in a way that keeping a tub of ice cream in the freezer doesn't. Budgeting for it makes you accountable to your food diary.
  • WatchJoshLift
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Preach. It's like moving a mountain trying to have just some reasonable amount of something sweet. People who come around saying "Just make it fit!" or "just have a small square of chocolate every day!" are people who obviously have NO clue what the actual problem is. The problem is trying to eat some sensible portion and having it snowball into a face stuffing extravaganza. The only thing that ever helps me not to binge on something like that is cutting my carbs. I assume this is because when carbs are reduced so is the urge to eat. This is true for a lot of people, it may not be true for all people.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - what type of sweets do you like? There are tons of great ways to substitute. For example -- I make protein shakes that taste like Frosty's or eat Yasso pops rather than ice cream. I cut protein bars into small pieces to eat like candy, chew sweet sugar free gum. Share what you like and we can offer up some alternatives.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I use The Laziness Method.

Just get a serving of your treat out of the cupboard, then go settle down with it and enjoy eating it.

I just don't bother going getting more.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Start off by buying smaller portions or your favorite sweets, then once you'e gained control with that, buy bigger bags and portion them out as soon as you get home.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    We're all different but what works for me is not buying them or having them in the house and that goes for anything - when I gave up smoking I couldn't have cigarettes in the house - I knew I'd not be able to resist the temptation. I can't eat chocolate or sweets because of digestive issues - they make me ill - so I don't have them in the house because if I do, I binge on them.
    You wouldn't leave alcohol or heroin around in the presence of a recovering addict - to me it's the same thing.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    OP, totally understand your problem. While I was on my weight loss, I actually totally banned the sweets because they are a huge trigger for me. Moderation does not work. Instead of sweets at night which was "my time" I fixed a big bowl of really sweet fruit (such as mangoes and pineapple) with some plain yogurt. That seemed to stop me from thinking about ice cream and other junk, but was sweet enough to trick my brain. I didn't eat ANY junk for 3 months.

The holidays have come, I've reached my goal weight, and I have had some things. Fudge, cake, pie, etc. At first, when I started eating them about a week or so ago, it was fine. I could have a few bites and be satisfied. But as the week has progressed, I am starting to get that "out of control" feeling with them now so I need to stop. Grabbing a piece of fudge three times a day...eating pie after normal meals versus just the celebratory ones...it's gradual but those habits are creeping back in, so I need to rein it in. It's been hard. Since 12/21 I have had my son's birthday, Christmas, my birthday, New Year's Eve. It's been one thing after another and people are making that "once a year" stuff that I don't want to pass up.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight without sweets, and then ALWAYS regain your weight when you eats swees again, then I think it makes sense to avoid the sweets 99.9% of the time. You have shown yourself time and time again what happens if you eat sweets. You KNOW what will probably happen if if eat sweets again. If you eat sweets, because you have been unsuccessful moderating it, you are risking weight regain.

I'm another who eats low carb, partially to control my sweet tooth. It works. Avoiding sweets works. I'm sticking with what works... at least 99% of the time. That 1% is easier to control now that I am low carb. :)

But the OP is fine with control if she avoids sweets. It is when she has sweets, and attempts moderation, that it leads to a binge.