P90X may be more dangerous than Crossfit

Options

Replies

• AnimePrincess13
    AnimePrincess13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You have to self-police yourself when you start. Don't "push through the pain" and don't over-do it. There's a lot of cues in the videos to help you check your form. Rhabdomyolysis is less about correct form and more about going from sitting on the couch to over-exerting yourself a ridiculous amount. Every Beachbody workout has a warning at the beginning about considering your current fitness level and consulting a doctor.

Finally, the author himself states, "You can’t put your muscles through a strenuous workout without leading up to it, and you need to recognize when your body is telling you that there is something wrong." Don't blame the exercise program because you didn't follow directions!! And please stop fear-mongering with topic headings!

This
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Proving once again that people don't read articles. The main point in the last paragraph:
    You can’t put your muscles through a strenuous workout without leading up to it, and you need to recognize when your body is telling you that there is something wrong.

It has nothing to do with P90X and everything to do with going whole hog after an extended period of time of sitting on your butt. You need to build up to working out. Jumping into crossfit would give the same results, if not worse.

OP,

Excellent troll.

Jof? A troll? Funniest thing I've heard all day...hahahaha.

Quoting for prosperity.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way with Insanity. 3 weeks in thought "awesome I can do anything!" and dumb me came out of a jump wrong and injured my lower calf. Instead of stopping when I should have (aka first sign of pain), i pushed through and I paid for it. I wasn't able to exercise for about a week, then tried running a 5k. I made it through but limped after crossing the finish line. I was out for about 3 to 4 days which sucked.

Lesson of the story: I have learned that when my body is screaming at me to "stop!" to actually stop not continue going (aka when I am feeling pain that doesn't go away even during rests). I know Insanity isn't as insane as P90X and eventually I will try it again, but for now, I am still learning what my body can and cannot take.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    ...which is why I so strongly recommend Crossfit to anyone looking for a fitness program that is custom-tailored to their current fitness level...easily scaled to suit each individual's needs under the guidance of trained professionals.

Exactly. And with just one look at Crossfit's two mascots, you know that temperate, measured, reasonable exercise is exactly what's on the menu at each independently owned and operated franchise.

rhabdoclown.baeef534.png
    6a00d8341cac1753ef01538e7b457b970b-800wi

I believe these two characters are referred to as Pukey the Clown and Rhabdo the Clown, in celebration of the moderate approach that crossfit takes to fitness.
  • CindyC60
    CindyC60 Posts: 30
    Options
    Most people's bodies are not designed to be a super athlete, no matter how much torture they subject themselves to through programs like that.

People just have to start using their common sense and do exercise programs that are appropriate for their fitness level.

^this...

...which is why I so strongly recommend Crossfit to anyone looking for a fitness program that is custom-tailored to their current fitness level...easily scaled to suit each individual's needs under the guidance of trained professionals.

ETA: But P90X seems like a reasonable approach for many too...

...and long as they ease into and stay aware of their limitations...

...instead of what the author of that link did.

If you'd seen some of the Crossfit boxes I have, you wouldn't say that. The ones I've seen are about as extreme as it gets with the participants looking like they're about to keel over, yet pushing full speed ahead anyway, bad form and all.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Exactly. And with just one look at Crossfit's two mascots, you know that temperate, measured, reasonable exercise is exactly what's on the menu at each independently owned and operated franchise.

rhabdoclown.baeef534.png
    6a00d8341cac1753ef01538e7b457b970b-800wi

I believe these two characters are referred to as Pukey the Clown and Rhabdo the Clown, in celebration of the moderate approach that crossfit takes to fitness.

I always interpreted those mascots more as warnings than role models...at least Rhabdo (http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/38_05_cf_rhabdo.pdf). Pukey, well, he's obviously slightly less dangerous (http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ_Pukie_Achauer2.pdf).
  • l0vedim0
    l0vedim0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I thought P90x wasn't for beginners?
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    And I can't say enough about their training program! The trained professionals at cross fit have are at least 17 years old, and have been through a rigorous, two-day, 8-hour-per day course that costs $1,000. Now, there is also a much more advanced curriculum for the elite crossfit coaches, which is a two-day, 8-hour-per-day course that costs $1,000.

Now, I was looking for more information to share, but I think crossfit stopped publishing anything else about their curriculum beyond level 1 and 'coach' sessions for some surely-not-dubious reason.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Most people's bodies are not designed to be a super athlete, no matter how much torture they subject themselves to through programs like that.

People just have to start using their common sense and do exercise programs that are appropriate for their fitness level.

^this...

ETA: But P90X seems like a reasonable approach for many too...

...and long as they ease into and stay aware of their limitations...

...instead of what the author of that link did.

If you'd seen some of the Crossfit boxes I have, you wouldn't say that. The ones I've seen are about as extreme as it gets with the participants looking like they're about to keel over, yet pushing full speed ahead anyway, bad form and all.

I'm curious, why do you belong to a Crossfit group if you don't like it?

How many CrossFit boxes have you been to?
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    I always interpreted those mascots more as warnings than role models...at least Rhabdo (http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/38_05_cf_rhabdo.pdf). Pukey, well, he's obviously slightly less dangerous (http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ_Pukie_Achauer2.pdf).

I know that when I'm trying to warn people about the potentially deadly effects of my exercise program, I use colorful clown cartoons. It really underscores the seriousness with which I take the subject. They still hand out the t-shirts?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    And I can't say enough about their training program! The trained professionals at cross fit have are at least 17 years old, and have been through a rigorous, two-day, 8-hour-per day course that costs $1,000. Now, there is also a much more advanced curriculum for the elite crossfit coaches, which is a two-day, 8-hour-per-day course that costs $1,000.

Now, I was looking for more information to share, but I think crossfit stopped publishing anything else about their curriculum beyond level 1 and 'coach' sessions for some surely-not-dubious reason.

Unlike globo gym trainers, amirite? (I'm right, right?)

Fortunately, at the gym I'm a member of, the trainers have more rigorous certifications, many with degrees relevant to the field, and nearly all with many years of experience, both in and out of crossfit. This is consistent with the accounts I've heard of other long-term successful crossfit gyms. Amazing, the correlation between long-term success as a gym and the qualifications of their trainers.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

Fortunately, at the gym I'm a member of, the trainers have more rigorous certifications, many with degrees relevant to the field, and nearly all with many years of experience, both in and out of crossfit. This is consistent with the accounts I've heard of other long-term successful crossfit gyms. Amazing, the correlation between long-term success as a gym and the qualifications of their trainers.

Yours is good, but at least in general they're not worse than the worst.

Sorry man.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I know that when I'm trying to warn people about the potentially deadly effects of my exercise program, I use colorful clown cartoons. It really underscores the seriousness with which I take the subject. They still hand out the t-shirts?

No doubt, crossfit has some issues in the form of many of its messages from corporate...

...but I try not to let things like the mascot distract me from the obvious underlying message.

And no, I'm not aware of a t-shirt related to any of this...but in my time there, I haven't seen anyone vomit or be hospitalized to know if that earns them a t-shirt. *shrug*
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

No doubt, crossfit has some issues in the form of many of its messages from corporate...

...but I try not to let things like the mascot distract me from the obvious underlying message.

And no, I'm not aware of a t-shirt related to any of this...but in my time there, I haven't seen anyone vomit or be hospitalized to know if that earns them a t-shirt. *shrug*

Oh really? Because the link you provided with respect to Pukey said this:
    [...]sometimes people vomit during and after workouts. It
    just happens. Scientists don’t totally understand why. Things
    just get weird, and sometimes you have to pay the clown.
    That, of course, will often result in a video being filmed
    as you retch, and maybe even a special T-shirt from
    the gym.

LOL getting sick from working out. LOL.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Yours is good, but at least in general they're not worse than the worst.

Sorry man.

Honestly, the accounts I've heard of crossfit gyms from other people...people I know IRL who aren't even members of those gyms...are all solid. Sure, I haven't independently verified it, but have no reason to doubt them... I suspect the stories of poorly-run crossfit gyms are overblown...and further suspect that those businesses lack long-term viability...so perhaps the horror stories were true *once upon a time* and that their legend simply outlives the business itself.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

the gym.

When I posted the link, I wasn't saying I vouched for the article in its entirety. I was simply sharing some evidence that these mascots were not necessarily something that crossfit aspires to achieve.

I've vomited sauteed shrimp before too...

...but haven't stopped eating shrimp.

Sometimes things truly do "just get weird"...
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    When I posted the link, I wasn't saying I vouched for the article in its entirety. I was simply sharing some evidence that these mascots were not necessarily something that crossfit aspires to achieve.

Red lobster doesn't hand out t-shirts for poisoning its customers.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    P90X is a fantastic program, along with Insanity. The number one thing I love about these programs is that they are CONSTANTLY telling you to rest WHENEVER YOU NEED TO. Let your heart rate decrease and then start back up. Never do anything if it causes pain- if you're in pain, you're doing it wrong and you need to stop and reassess. It's about the individual being willing to listen to their body (ie: the OPPOSITE of the main tenant of Crossfit- to never stop no matter what, even if you throw up. Throwing up apparently means you're doing something right....:noway: .and yes, i realize not all CrossFit boxes are like this but the large many are. To open a box you have to go to a 2 day training and pass a 50 question test....). If you're not willing to listen , then yes P90X, like anything else, is dangerous. If you research BeachBody and how these programs are developed, they are incredibly effective and safe.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

the gym.

Speaking of vomiting while working out...I saw this last week and wondered....why continue? This doesn't seem "healthy" lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aBb0k1sx1s4
  • CindyC60
    CindyC60 Posts: 30
    Options

As long as Crossfit keeps certifying people as trainers with only a weekend workshop as education, their reputation for having safe, well-run facilities will continue to deteriorate -- as it should.