HELP ! I Am Too Embarrassed to go out

Options
3 years ago I arrived DOA at E/R in total renal failure from a prescribed antibiotic. I was thin my entire life, now I'm a WHALE. I lost my Mom 6 weeks ago and I am determined to start living again. I don't know where to start. I need to lose more than 100 lbs, I can barely walk.

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP
    Definitely come to the right place
    Read some success stories for inspiration
    Take your time and don't give up
    Good luck
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So what happened between three years ago and today? Renal failure from antibiotic overdose is awful, but as far as I know it won't in and of itself make you gain that much weight. Was it medication? Comfort eating? Were you disabled and unable to move around? No one's going to be able to give you targeted advice unless you give more details about what the specific issue that made you gain weight was.
  • katanak9
    katanak9 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!

I think @mumblemagic and @woznube7 are right on the money in terms of advice to get started, so I don't think I can add much other than to say that even the smallest steps are a start toward your goal, treat yourself with kindness and let go of what was.

I've always found MFP people to be very positive and supportive; it's rare to come across someone being judgemental here.

All the best - you can absolutely do this.
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, you have bo idea how much I appreciate it ! As far as the renal failure, I was DOA on arrival, Creatinine 9.0 they told my husband, I was not going to make it. I was in ICU for awhile. After I came home I kept pushing too hard and took bad falls. I kept getting sick, so my Dr made me stay home. It was not food it was No Activity that made me gain weight. I have been a lifelong athlete.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. I'm grateful for winter so I can hibernate or wrap myself up in layers upon layers of clothes. I'm ashamed to say I lost 40 pounds on mfp two years ago. But have gained almost 25 back. No more. Logging really works, start there. Add activity slowly. Just walk, maybe a little more each day than the day before. Treat yourself kindly, you are not a whale. And lucky you, you were a lifelong athlete so your body has some memory of those days. You got this, you can do it! Feel free to add me.
  • aka62792
    Options
    I am absolutely committed to this journey. I HATE the way I look. I can barely walk, I have fallen so many times, I am TERRIFIED. The minute I try to walk, I can feel every muscle in my body tense up. To whoever said I had an antibiotic overdose, that was not it. I had a terrible Sinus Infection and my Doctor prescribed an antibiotic that I was violently allergic to. That day, I was out driving a car and DON'T remember ANYTHING ! After I went home, I was in and out of the Hospital because I kept getting sick. I am hoping that my lifelong Athletics will help. My Husband is going to start walking with me , and try and help me calm down. I look forward to helping all of you.
  • aka62792
    Options
    Woznube7 Thank you for a very insightful message. I also really push myself way too much. That is why I have hurt myself so many times. I am now feeling well, I'm not depressed anymore. I am finally at the place to start this journey. I hope you will join me.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    aka62792 wrote: »
    3 years ago I arrived DOA at E/R in total renal failure from a prescribed antibiotic. I was thin my entire life, now I'm a WHALE. I lost my Mom 6 weeks ago and I am determined to start living again. I don't know where to start. I need to lose more than 100 lbs, I can barely walk.

Welcome back to your life. Tomorrow, walk from one telephone pole to the next. Done. Do that for a week. Every day. Next week Waller two. Eat right. Just focus on today. I have a friend who started out 90 pounds over weight and struggled with that one telephone pole distance. By the me of the year he ran a marathon and lost 80 pounds.
  • aka62792
    Options
    Mumblemagic Thank you for good steps, I have never had to diet. I have done massive research on getting rid of this weight. I see most of my problem as not eating, staying in bed depressed, too much frozen food. I also must have monthly blood tests to see how my kidney's are. So far so good. I hope you join me in my journey.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    @aka62792, look at all of this support (besides a few judgmental posters). We are all in this together, have all gone through this, we all are going through this. You have what it takes. Lean on us. When it hurts to move, then stop. Do as much as you can, and keep increasing it. Whatever you do, is a step in the right direction. Happy New Year! This will be your year!
  • aka62792
    Options
    YES , YES, YES I feel so empowered ! 2016 was a Nightmare, my Husband had serious surgery, I got a Breast Cancer scare. The worst was losing my Mom 6 weeks ago. I Ignore judgmental people, only POSITIVE, CARING People allowed in my life. How long does it take to learn this App LOL ?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    aka62792 wrote: »
    YES , YES, YES I feel so empowered ! 2016 was a Nightmare, my Husband had serious surgery, I got a Breast Cancer scare. The worst was losing my Mom 6 weeks ago. I Ignore judgmental people, only POSITIVE, CARING People allowed in my life. How long does it take to learn this App LOL ?

The app will take a couple weeks to get used to, but is a good tool. I found that logging from the website was easier, particularly when logging multiple items at the same time.
  • aka62792
    Options
    I just purchased a year of fit pal. I'm getting the App, lost two pounds
  • betty90631
    betty90631 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work if you try to stick to your cal intake suggested by the app you will see the weight come off. Take it one day at a time. I like to count my steps i started at 8000 steps per day in october now im 20lbs lighter and i try to hit over 10000 steps everyday. I also got a part time job over the holidays doing retail to help keep me moving i figure i could earn a little more money and loose weight.