Pantry 2017? What are your favorite healthy snacks

Options
I'm trying to redo my shopping list and therefore my pantry. What are healthy staple foods that you always have in Stock? Recipes ? Kid friendly? Husband friendly?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    For me, I love rice cakes. They have cheddar flavored and caramel flavored ones, so when I'm tight on calories but still feeling snacky I can grab one or two of those. They're really good! For my kids I buy fruit and string cheese, and keep a batch of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge. We're not big on crackers, just because I tend to get into them when I'm bored and do bad things to them :D So I try to keep all snacks in the house simple, so I'll only eat them if I'm actually hungry. My husband is a grown man and can prepare his own snack if he's hungry. :p
  • ShaleSelkies
    ShaleSelkies Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Dates and nuts are good - they have a fair amount of calories though so they're more an actually need energy kind of snack than one just to occupy ones mouth. I don't know what your kids like but dates in particular have been something I've always enjoyed so I'd say its pretty suitable for the whole family! Just make sure your kids either know to take pits out before eating stuff (I don't know how old they are) or you get pitiless dates.
  • morning_green
    morning_green Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana in the food processor = ice cream
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    As (almost) always, I suggest starting in the other end...! We don't know what your idea of healthy food is, or what you or your kids or husband like. Start with food you like and want to eat, find recipes for the meals that you need recipes for, and buy ingredients for those meals and other foods that you are going to eat. Cooking style, availability, budget and schedule will also influence what you are going to buy.

Many foods are regulars on these lists though. I like to divide mine into pantry, freezer and fridge.
    Pantry: Crispbread, beans and lentils, canned tomatoes, canned fish (kippers, sardines, tuna), rice, pasta, noodles, polenta, semolina, oatmeal, wheat flour (white and brown), millet, barley. Sesame seeds, breakfast cereals, nuts and nut butters. Cocoa, coffee, tea, herbs and spices, sauces and condiments, oils and vinegars, stock, honeys. Canned fruit, canned vegetables for stir-fry, dried fruit, jam.
    Freezer: Berries, sliced banana, vegetables, meat, fish, bread.
    Fridge: Milk, eggs, fresh fruit and vegetables, sandwich spreads, butter, mayo, parmesan, pickles.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Crunchy snacks:
    nori and other snack seaweeds; kale chips I make myself, celery, popcorn

Sweet snacks:
    good quality dried medjool dates and mission figs (they're sweet enough that I only want one!, and Breyer's Carb Smart ice cream (but watch the portion size)

Filling stuff:
    I always keep a variety of crudite veggies (mini peppers, celery, carrots, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, etc. . .) in the fridge for snacking and for quick adds to salads and stir fries for high-fiber low calorie meals and sides.
  • fitvicgirl
    fitvicgirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about this as I plan the list to shop later today. Some things I'm hoping to pick out to help myself:
    Broccoli (I love cooked broccoli)
    Chickpeas to make hummus(freezes well!)
    Melons that I'll have chopped and ready in the fridge)
    Rice cakes (thanks above poster for the idea)
    Yams
    Cup of soup (veggie one is 50cals and filling)
    Frozen berries for smoothies
    Salsa (great on a potato, or healthy chips/crackers)
    Eggs
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My absolute must-have-at-all-times staples are rice, beans, frozen veggie mix, canned tomatoes, potatoes, and onions. From these things, I will never go hungry! And of course, keeping up your spice cabinet will make whatever tasty!
  • awkwardbae
    awkwardbae Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    broccoli (with either butter and pepper or cottage and pepper)
    carrots (baked carrot fries)
    cottage
    water tuna ( tunasalad)
    leafy greens for salads
    tomatoes
    oatmeal (1 tb peanutbutter, cinnamon and 25 grams of dark chocolate)
    greek low fat yoghurt (with 1 tb of crunchy peanutbutter is delicious)
    peanutbutter
    chestnuts (baked amazing)
    eggs
    chicken
    gouda cheese
    popcorn kernels
    mayo
    pligouri (greek name, i'm not sure how it's called in english)- amazing with feta cheese and tomatoes
    bananas
    dark chocolate 70-72% plain or with almonds
    stevia chocolate halvas
    brown bread
    meat for sandwiches
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My current go-to snack is mini sweet peppers (red and yellow) sliced and mixed together with cold cooked bacon-crumbled, fresh spinach and then light Italian dressing. Kind of an odd combination but it's sooo good!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I make it easy for myself.... I don't snack! :)
    You don't necessarily need to be eating that often - although if you need to eat, go for it

For meals, we pre plan and have a set plan we follow for the whole week (weekends are more flexible) - predominantly lean meats, fish, eggs, vegies in season, nuts/nut butter, yoghurt, cheese, oils/vinegar for dressings, herbs and spices, rice/quinoa or some bread