Binge Eating. How do you get past the past?

Options
Sgt_Pepper33
Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm fairly certain I have binge eating disorder, or at least I have some very unhealthy symptoms that point to psychological problems and eating combined. I eat in secret. When I know I am going to be alone, I plan on eating
a LOT of food that I normally feel like I am unable to eat in the presence of others. I understand the reasons I do this. I see how I was treated as a child about my own weight by peers and especially my mom. I have worked on this and other issues due to depression and anxiety with counselors. I've been in counseling for 11 or 12 years now. However, I still cannot figure out how to control this, or how to change my own views towards health. I know part of the issue is that for certain health reasons, I have been living with my parents for the past year. My mom is my best friend, but the food thing is a constant struggle between us. I guess I'm just looking for advice from others who have this disorder or who have some kind of issues due to eating and their childhood. If working with a counselor hasn't helped yet...What can? Any advice or success story or encouragement is greatly appreciated! Also, please excuse the length of this post; I majored in writing and can be a little long-winded I have been told. :)

Replies

• mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having difficulties. I don't have BED and can't really offer any suggestions. I just wanted to give support. Maybe you can talk with your counselor on tips or suggestions? I wish you luck in dealing with this.
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Options
    Thank you for your support! I value kind words just as much as advice
  • jennilynnjohn
    jennilynnjohn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We have the same thing in common Sgt_Pepper 33. I binge also trying to fill a void or something? I haven't figured it out yet.
  • dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I ate too much today. I ate within my calorie range at first... but then I had to dip crackers into leftover chili on the stove, a sundrop, and spicy nacho doritos... :(
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Options
    It's okay, @dark_sparkles37019. I ended up going waaay over yesterday! But started anew today. We got this!
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing, I've gotten to all time lows where I still can't get over when I binged on Easter, it feels like you're always going to feel ashamed and while you may not be proud of
    It as time goes on you have to start focusing on your new, healthy habits to push forward. Focusing on my disorder is what helped me move on
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with binge eating, especially chocolate!
    So will follow with interest as it's a bad habit I need to break, if I. don't want to later regain what I loose this time around.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Recovering bulimic/binger here. I got therapy and worked through the EDA 12 step workbook for disordered eating. The combination saved my life. Please know you are not alone and recovery is possible.
  • arbolesta1
    arbolesta1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey OP. You sound like me almost to a T. I eat in secret like a sneaky food troll and plan my binges hours or even days ahead of time. It feels like I'm completely out of control and once the thought of having a huge binge session takes hold, there is no willpower to stop it. In that moment, binging feels like the only thing that will bring me comfort and relaxation, though I always end up hating myself after. While my mother and I are very close now, my weight was a source of much "concern" and cruel remarks growing up. I hope you are able to overcome it. I've been fighting it for years. While I haven't defeated it myself, I noticed that the severe restriction and overexertion I use while dieting and exercising generally lead me to binge again within 1-2 weeks. Try your best to have balance and don't be too hard on yourself if you relapse. I don't generally follow my own advice, of course, but that's my two cents. I also suggest therapy with someone who deals specifically with disordered eating like this, not just anorexia and bulimia. Good luck :)
  • Carebear199125
    Carebear199125 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there is a disorder for that but I feel your pain. My struggle is at night and I wait til I'm alone. My weakness is sweets. I can eat and eat and usually don't stop until I feel sick and/or I see myself in a mirror and feel disgusted. That's where my weight gain came from.