Cardio or strength training

Options
Hey guys I feel overwhelmed by my internet surfing on which is better for me cardio or strength training. On one hand I've read you'll lose quicker with cardio but I think I'll like the way I look overall with strength training more...or maybe a combo? Any suggestions? All workouts will be at home only.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    b36lq2cwcp7l.jpg

In all seriousness, it depends on what your goals are?

Are they strength related or cardio related? Do you want to lift or do you want to run a 5K?

Weight loss regardless of exercise type comes down to your calorie deficit.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am doing a combo of both right now. I find it's been effective so far and all
    My working out is strictly home based
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Another vote for both.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yep, both. Cardio for heart health (and to help with the deficit in some cases), strength training to retain muscle mass as you lose.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Both! I enjoy lifting and have been doing so since my teen years. But I do cardio to increase my deficit, or allow me to eat more....Depending on my goals for that day/week.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Both.

3 to 5 thirty minute sessions of cardio and 1 to 2 thirty minute sessions of muscular.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    Both.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    The following works for me: Form follows function. Stay at a deficit and you can lose weight. Choose a strength training program to build a good strong base and retain lbm. Low intensity steady state cardio if longer than 30 minutes (or perform more intense cardio no longer than 30 minutes).

And it helps me to train for a sport (tennis).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    BOTH!!!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Both is great. But personally if I am stuck on time I choose strength training.