Is it okay to go over your calorie goal for a day?

I started last September 2016 and weighed 264...I did start with 1200 to 1250 calorie intake a day instead of my actual goal which at first it's really hard and most of my friends said I was too crazy to start with it and I should do it slowly...I told them that I can do it and I'll show it to them and I did I stick to it until now...I'm at 215 pounds atm...my question is, is it okay to go over your calorie goal?does it affect my loose weight?christmas I know I did eat at least 3500 calories or more but after that I did stick to my diet again and this new year I went full out cause it where my family gather and I don't want them to say anything about me by not eating what we serve I ate probably atleast 4500 or more I do regret eating that much but that's only one time and plus it's a family gathering so my question is will it affect my loose weight big time?what should I do?
Happy new year guys

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    Not consistently. Going over 100 calories a day over your TDEE results in a 10lbs gain in a year.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Buff_Daddy_Regie
    Buff_Daddy_Regie Posts: 73 Member
    Thank guys much appreciated
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm sure you and a million other people overindulged between Christmas and new year. Don't sweat it, you'll be fine :+1: Gaining weight doesn't happen that quickly, especially not because of a day or two of over eating
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Why are you only eating 1200-1250 calories?
  • Buff_Daddy_Regie
    girlinahat wrote: »
    How much should I be eating then?is that bad tho?am I doing it wrong?
  • Buff_Daddy_Regie
    I'm sure you and a million other people overindulged between Christmas and new year. Don't sweat it, you'll be fine :+1: Gaining weight doesn't happen that quickly, especially not because of a day or two of over eating

Glad to hear that
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member

The minimum recommended calories for a guy are 1500 a day. That's to get you enough calories to fuel your body and give enough nutrients.

Plug your stats into MFP and use their goal. You said you changed the goal, don't. You should be aiming to lose around 1-2lb a week MAXIMUM, but that really depends on your starting point. If you are exercising as well you can eat some of those calories back to help fuel those workouts. Have a read through the pinned posts in the MFP forums, that will give you a good grounding.
  • Buff_Daddy_Regie

The minimum recommended calories for a guy are 1500 a day. That's to get you enough calories to fuel your body and give enough nutrients.

Plug your stats into MFP and use their goal. You said you changed the goal, don't. You should be aiming to lose around 1-2lb a week MAXIMUM, but that really depends on your starting point. If you are exercising as well you can eat some of those calories back to help fuel those workouts. Have a read through the pinned posts in the MFP forums, that will give you a good grounding.

I didn't change my goal...I just don't follow my calorie goal for the day I can't force myself to eat more if I'm full right?yeah for the first 2 weeks that I start dieting I've been following my calorie goal but after the two weeks I've been full that easy...I'm following the 50-20-30 goal and I'm always at my goal...yeah I do exercise 5x a week...thx tho I'll try to eat 1790 calorie a day which is that's my actual calorie goal for a day...