Best time to weigh yourself?

Options
I keep hearing that the morning is the best time to weigh yourself. Does it really matter the time of the day? I always weigh less in the afternoon than I do in the morning. Like today was my weigh in day 167.6 this morning, but 166.2 just now. Could it be because I work nights and eat more calories later in the day than early? Just curios if this happens to anyone else?

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time of the day, but it might help to be consistent.

Your weight will be jacked around day to day, so if you weigh daily, don't get discouraged. Track it daily or weekly, but when comparing, go back a month.
  • Angel4ever44
    Angel4ever44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Every week. I normally do it on sundays but that's just me.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'd say consistency is the key. If you want to weigh in at night then do that.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yea I guess it is relative.

People say "morning" meaning "weigh yourself when you first wake up" for the more accurate/lowest/less-likely-to-fluctuate reading.

So if you work nights and wake up in the evening, then weighing in the evening makes sense.

However, the most important thing is to weigh yourself *consistently*. So if you weigh in the afternoon, always weigh in the afternoon. If you weigh wearing clothes, try to wear similar outfits (or the same one, I won't judge) every time... etc etc. It just helps to keep the variables from varying too much.

The scale I just bought actually recommends weighing in the morning for accurate weight readings, and in the evening before dinner for accurate BF%. But that's a single product.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I only track it weekly, but I wanted to see how much my weight fluctuates in a day. It surprised me it was less in the afternoon after lunch and a lot of water.
  • strick1982
    strick1982 Posts: 75
    Options
    For me it's time for me to throw the scale into a closet for awhile. What I have been told was to weigh in 1st thing in the a.m. after going potty.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Every week. I normally do it on sundays but that's just me.

This - once a week, mine is Sundays because it's the only day i'm really home and have time to do my weigh in and measurements.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I do not believe it matters when so long as you use about the same time every time. Mine happens to be Wednesday mornings.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    i weigh 3 times a day minimum..

I cant always 'go' first thing in the morning, an i only have bran flakes, toast and a protein shake between 6:30am and 3:00pm so i weigh in the morning write it down, weigh once i get in from work, write it down, then weigh in the evening after iv finished eating/drinking to see how much in weight iv eaten :ohwell: I know, im strange, but it keeps me sane and i get a rough idea how my body is working during the day :smile:
  • johnelwell
    johnelwell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with everyones comments that consistency is the key, I weigh different at various times of the day and also different weights on different scales. After sleeping when you first get up is best, you haven't had time to eat, drink etc so you can set your bench mark then, don't forget a litre of water weighs 1 Kilo so if you have had a drink one day before weighing and not the next all sorts or errors will occur
    Hope this is of some help
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I weigh every 2 weeks, Saturday morning, right after going potty.

Once a month I also take my measurement.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have settled into an 'every July' routine.

But which bit of July? Dagnabbit, this health and fitness lark is complicated ;)
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Consistency is the important thing be it once a week, every other week or once a month. More than that would be subject to the vagaries of the human body. I weigh myself a couple of times a day, but normally for "****s and grins", just for entertainment purposes only, to see what's going on. I don't freak, and use it to try to "guess" what I'll be at. For example, yesterday, I gained over 5 pounds between morning and afternoon. I can swing as much as 10 pounds in a day, depending on water retention and other things. Is it humid and is your skin dry? That can affect it. I gained 3 pounds in 20 minutes once while soaking in a jacuzzi without ingesting a thing. My skin was dry.

The important thing is the trend. Is the trend over a longer period downward? If it is, don't sweat even a one or two reading stagnation or deviation.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you want your truest weight then you should do it right after you wake up (whenever that is), but the main thing is being consistent and not getting discouraged as it will fluctuate.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    4.26am
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a few times a week, even though I know I should stay away from the scale, but I only log my weight on here once a week, I will weigh in tomorrow morning. I picked Friday & I weigh after I empty my bladder :)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Consistency is the important thing be it once a week, every other week or once a month. More than that would be subject to the vagaries of the human body.
    ^^Truth!
    I weigh myself a couple of times a day, but normally for "****s and grins", just for entertainment purposes only, to see what's going on. I don't freak, and use it to try to "guess" what I'll be at.
    ^^Yep, same here.
    ...I gained 3 pounds in 20 minutes once while soaking in a jacuzzi without ingesting a thing. My skin was dry.
    :noway: What ARE you?! Some form of amphibian?! <looks at username... leebesstoad> :indifferent:
    Oh... never mind...
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I only track it weekly, but I wanted to see how much my weight fluctuates in a day. It surprised me it was less in the afternoon after lunch and a lot of water.

Oh it can fluctuate alot!
    My advice is morning, after the pee's and poop's and before eating.
    And I\ve tried monthly, weekly and daily. I have decided to gp with daily. Some find it to be discouraging. I find it to be motivating.
    If the scale is higher or lower, either way I am motivated to do my best.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    After launching the sub
    After the dropping deuce
  • Amyzontrack
    Options
    Early morning