No New Year's Resolutions

Options
So I've decided to not make any New Year's Resolutions, I'm just going to to do what I know is the right thing to do in order to stay healthy and fit. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Replies

• tbrooks210
    tbrooks210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm starting today getting back on track with clean eating and walking 2+ miles everyday.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't make resolutions per sei...I think one of the problems with resolutions is that they're very often overly aggressive, must change everything overnight kind of deals rather than looking at ways to better one's self throughout the coming year. They also tend to focus on weight loss as the ultimate goal rather than overall health, well being, and fitness...so people do all kinds of stuff that is the antithesis of good health just to try to reach that goal without ever realizing that when you focus on health and fitness, the rest sorts itself out over time. This is why most people crash and burn by February...

While I don't really make resolutions, I do establish objectives for the year...they don't really revolve around I'm going to start doing X, Y, or Z January 1...they're simply objectives for the year...

- 4,000 miles or more on the bike
    - greater consistency in getting into the weight room
    - complete all races in the Double Eagle Time Trial series this summer...I was injured training last summer and only did one race.
    - Bucket list ride...Enchanted Circle Century in September
    - 1/4 century with my oldest on Day of the Tread in October...he'll be 7 and we did 12 miles last year no problem and he didn't have a geared bike...he had plenty left in the tank and he'll likely have a geared bike for next year.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    I haven't made new years resolutions in decades.

I make goals ... attainable, realistic goals. Essentially, a plan for the year.

For example, one of my goals is to take the next 2 classes I need at university. I've been taking 2 classes a year for the past 2 years ... I want to do it again this year, and I've already enrolled in the first one. It's attainable and realistic, and part of the plan for this year. These classes will influence what else I do this year. And actually, these classes are part of a bigger 4+ year plan.

Another goal is to cycle more than I did last year. Last year, I cycled 5760 km. Even if I just manage to squeeze in 5761 km, it will be more than last year. Because I did do 5760 km last year, even with some medical issues that kept me off the bicycle for a few weeks last winter, more than 5760 km is a realistic goal for this year. And having that goal provides me with motivation to get out there and ride even if the weather isn't the best or when I might not really feel like going when I'm all comfortable at home. But a goal like this doesn't mean I have to ride every day, so there's no pressure hanging over me that I must get out there every single day ... I haven't failed or broken my resolution if I don't ride tomorrow.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    There's no harm in making a resolution because it usually indicates that someone wants to change something. Where resolutions fail is when the person has no plan of action to achieve it and isn't mentally ready to take it on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png