Water intake

Do tea bags count as cups of water when trying to increase water intake?

Replies

• debferguson03
    debferguson03 Posts: 10 Member
    My dr told me that tea actually dehydrates you so I'm not sure if it will count or not
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Flavored water is still water. Tea is just flavored water. It doesn't turn into something else when you add flavor.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I researched this when I started tracking water intake several years ago and I include tea and coffee in my daily water intake. While caffeine's diuretic effect can dehydrate, the amount of water in tea and coffee more than makes up for it.
  • Beeky_85
    Beeky_85 Posts: 31 Member
    I include the water usage in tea towards my water intake - sometimes even soup too. :wink:
  • jnananamaste
    jnananamaste Posts: 72 Member
    Ok so I'll ask here since I've been wondering...do you guys count seltzer water?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    The bags don't count. But if you steep them in water, the water would count.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Ok so I'll ask here since I've been wondering...do you guys count seltzer water?

Yep! :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member

Of course. Why would bubbles make it not water?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member

I don't actually "count" water intake at all, since I rely on thirst (I have never in my life mistaken thirst for hunger) and urine color, but if I did, I would count seltzer. Water in any form, even in food, hydrates the human body and therefore counts. Well, I wouldn't count alcoholic beverages.
  • jnananamaste
    edited January 2017

Of course. Why would bubbles make it not water?

Lol I know...but I've always wondered if I should count it without even knowing why I was questioning it. :blush:
  • jnananamaste
    edited January 2017

I don't actually "count" water intake at all, since I rely on thirst (I have never in my life mistaken thirst for hunger) and urine color, but if I did, I would count seltzer. Water in any form, even in food, hydrates the human body and therefore counts. Well, I wouldn't count alcoholic beverages.

I count my water because it motivates me to drink more and when I drink more, I feel better :smiley:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited January 2017
    My dr told me that tea actually dehydrates you so I'm not sure if it will count or not

Your doctor is mistaken. Read #2 in the link below (links to scientific studies provided in the body of the text):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821181/myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements

Caffeinated drinks are about as diuretic as plain water.

Answer to OP's question is yes, tea counts as water to the body for purposes of hydration. So does coffee, milk, fruit juices, water, sports drinks, soda/diet soda, etc., etc.