struggling to eat 1200 calories

Options
13»

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    When you first start to take control of your eating and exercise it can become all consuming, which is a good thing, because now you are taking control and realising that your weight before was due to you over eating.

Your diary looks good and you are monitoring what you are putting into your mouth and you are obviously making changes.

You now recognise that you are not eating just for the sake of it and want to only eat if you feel hungry. Well done :smile:

Just make adjustments to your diet to bring your calories up a little more.

As you progress you will find that you can still lose weight and eat more.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Stop eating "diet" food. Problem solved.

:flowerforyou: :heart: :love:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    here.. lots of healthy awesome recipes (and a few not so healthy ones)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Confuzzled4ever

eat away!
  • marathongal
    marathongal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I found this thread while trying to figure out for myself how to get to over 1200 most days without feeling like I am stuffing myself as well. My goal is 1500. When I am paying attention, weighing my food and portioning out with meal plans etc. I have to force myself to eat more to even hit 1000 calories let alone 1200. I actually have an ongoing joke that I have to have a glass of wine or rum some nights to hit 1200. Healthier foods fill me up super fast. Give me junk food and I and down 1200 calories in a burger and fries without blinking. Right now I feel almost sick full, after squeezing in a bowl of greek yogurt with almond butter, honey, almonds and cocoa powder to get to a whopping 1179 for the day (and yes, with a glass of wine added for the night). I don't eat many times a day and have to actually remember to eat - not because I feel hungry - but because it is necessary. Everyone is different. I just need to find that one person like me that has found the trick to more calories which will result in a better metabolism which will aid in weight loss.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I found this thread while trying to figure out for myself how to get to over 1200 most days without feeling like I am stuffing myself as well. My goal is 1500. When I am paying attention, weighing my food and portioning out with meal plans etc. I have to force myself to eat more to even hit 1000 calories let alone 1200. I actually have an ongoing joke that I have to have a glass of wine or rum some nights to hit 1200. Healthier foods fill me up super fast. Give me junk food and I and down 1200 calories in a burger and fries without blinking. Right now I feel almost sick full, after squeezing in a bowl of greek yogurt with almond butter, honey, almonds and cocoa powder to get to a whopping 1179 for the day (and yes, with a glass of wine added for the night). I don't eat many times a day and have to actually remember to eat - not because I feel hungry - but because it is necessary. Everyone is different. I just need to find that one person like me that has found the trick to more calories which will result in a better metabolism which will aid in weight loss.

Odds are your metabolism is just fine. If you're truly struggling to get to your calorie goal then you might want to consider some more calorie-dense options (that isn't necessarily wine or "junk" food).
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Are you allowing yourself treats? Restricting yourself too much can sometimes make it difficult and lead to binges. If you can control the portion sizes a planned cookie, cake, small serving of ice cream, etc can make it easier to stick to your goals.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Are you eating a lot of high volume low cal foods?

How much weight have you been losing per week?

Have you had a checkup recently?
  • johngsprague
    johngsprague Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty low, so the scale should be moving for you nicely. All this calorie counting and so on is to get a result. If your results are what you are hoping for, keep doing it! I wouldn't force anything, that small margin could easily be inaccurate tracking, which happens for a variety of reasons. If what you're doing is working, I say keep it up!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling to eat 1200 and losing weight, how did you end up with weight to lose? Honest question.

well about 2 weeks ago I was eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and how ever much of it I wanted :) I just recently started paying attention to what I eat.

Many people have this problem when they first start. They cut out all the high calorie foods and add in low calorie foods. They are actually eating more food than before...just a lot less calories. Find something such as peanut butter...add a small dessert and bring your calories up. You will adjust over time and be back on track.

To add...I have been at this off and on for a few years...I am just coming off a spell where my calories were too low but I wasn't hungry. I had backed off slightly on my bread/pasta to lower my carbs slightly and increased my vegetables and fruits. I had to add more food to get my calories back up.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    magerum wrote: »
    If you're struggling to eat 1200 and losing weight, how did you end up with weight to lose? Honest question.

It happens to many people when they give up calorie dense food in favor of nutrient/lower calorie foods. It takes a while for some people to figure it out.

I got fat off of lots of cheese crackers(whole box full at a time)...I was under eating when I replaced those snacks with fruit/vegetables. I was eating more volume but far less calories. It took a while to adjust and get my calories correct.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

OP, did you really just consume soy sauce for lunch one day a few days ago?

Small omissions of a calorie dense meal once or twice a week will bump OP's calories into the perfectly fine zone. OP, what's missing from this lunch?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Alright.... pretty sure I'm about to get yelled at by strangers here but I have an honest question. I'm 26 weigh 166 lbs and I'm 5'3. I currently am not excerising but cooking my own meals and meal planning. I have found that with eating every 2-3-4 hours I have a hard time reaching the 1200 calorie goal. I never eat less than 1000 but usually bounce between that and 1150 and i'm honestly not starving at all. Do I force myself to eat the extra 150-200 calories? even if that means a snack right before bed? I am loosing weight doing what i've been doing but i'm scared of long term concequences of not eating the 1200 calories. Thank for your help!!!

I'm not a fan forcing yourself to eat when not hungry, but at the same time our body can ADAPT to too little food and too much food. That's why people can still feel hungry when they eat too much, and not feel hungry when they eat too little.

All that has happened to you is that you have adapted to too little calories, and you are correct to worry about the long term consequences because it will hurt you in the long run for sure.

1680 calories is your estimated TDEE. That is based on an average of all the expert calculations, which are all over the map, all correct, yet all estimates. It's a great number for you to remember for your height and gender, for life, even though it's only an estimate and your metabolism will ebb and flow daily and with the seasons of life. It won't vary from that plus or minus but a couple hundred calories in either direction. You can always adjust this number with years of accurate data. Your body will always give the truth more than a calculator.

So, with that number... TRUST THIS... You can't possibly gain body fat unless you go over that number.

Anything under that is a deficit for body fat. It doesn't have to be 1200, it can even be a deficit 1600-1700 with a good workout. But since you don't workout, maybe 1500-1600.

When you have adapted like you have, it's hard to break out of so I would just add in a little bit of higher calorie foods with your small snack meals that you already eat; butter, coconut oil, avocado, beans and legumes, nuts, dried fruit, cheese, things that are delicious that will add energy and richness to your foods, enjoyable and will help you to feel better and heal from such low calories.

Ignore the mean people. Mean people suck for sure. The world is full of them.

Best of luck to you.

Roberta