Just starting out, now I'm sick!

Options
I'm so frustrated! I just finished my third week of going to the gym 4 days a week and counting my calories, and now I am down today with the respirtory flu! GRRRRRRR! So, now I have to eat a lot less today, because usually I also get to eat my exercise calories....and there is no way I will be exercising in the next few days. I am hoping that because I am sedetary now, I will not re-gain the 3 lbs that I worked os hard to lose!

If I stay under or at my calories, even if I am sedetary, will I at least maintain my weight, or should I expect weight gain?

Replies

• luvmytwins02
    Options
    I'm so frustrated! I just finished my third week of going to the gym 4 days a week and counting my calories, and now I am down today with the respirtory flu! GRRRRRRR! So, now I have to eat a lot less today, because usually I also get to eat my exercise calories....and there is no way I will be exercising in the next few days. I am hoping that because I am sedetary now, I will not re-gain the 3 lbs that I worked os hard to lose!

If I stay under or at my calories, even if I am sedetary, will I at least maintain my weight, or should I expect weight gain?
  • B TOWN
    B TOWN Posts: 32
    Options
    Drink lots of tea or lemon water and feel better soon!
  • MaggieRora
    Options
    You should take time to get rest first. Sleep lots, stay in bed the whole day and drink lots of water. Get some Vitamin C. The longer u stay sick, the worse for your goal.Dont go to the gym and exercise like you would on a normal day, this can be very dangerous for your heart. Instead do slow exercises like yoga. A 160 pound person uses about 500 calories when sleeping for eight hours... so do some math and u will see that sleeping actually burns more calories. i guess you could just snooze an extra 8 hours during the day and poof 500 calories gone!
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You should take time to get rest first. Sleep lots, stay in bed the whole day and drink lots of water. Get some Vitamin C. The longer u stay sick, the worse for your goal.Dont go to the gym and exercise like you would on a normal day, this can be very dangerous for your heart. Instead do slow exercises like yoga. A 160 pound person uses about 500 calories when sleeping for eight hours... so do some math and u will see that sleeping actually burns more calories. i guess you could just snooze an extra 8 hours during the day and poof 500 calories gone!

haha not to mention all the eating you wouldn't be doing in that same 8 hours!!! brilliant! :laugh:

Feel better soon, don't stress out too much about what you eat for a few days. Your body needs the fuel to help it fight off the sickness. A couple days won't hurt you in the long run if you get back on track once you are feeling better.
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Forget the weight. Get Better. And Get Back to It.

Should you regain, it will be because your body, during a time of illness, does not function at its best.

Don't sweat it...once you feel better and get back on the wagon (so to speak) any regain should just fall right off and that only works if you eat as properly and as balanced as you are able while you are ill.

I hope you feel better real soon:flowerforyou:
  • luvmytwins02
    Options
    Thanks! The trouble is I can't sleep all day, until tomorrow. I have twin 5 year old girls and I watch my 23 month old nephew! That's ok, hubby wil be home in 5 hours...I can make it until then by just laying on the couch while they all play! We have been sick so much this winter, I thought we were finally over it. Looking forward to Spring, more than ever!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I can not TELL you how many times that happens with people just starting out...
    And there are a number of reasons.
    1) Your body is fighting fat when you start eating and exerciseing. Sometimes so much so that it gets sick because it's resistance is down.
    2) If you go to the gym a lot, you are suseptible to the germs that are floating around in the gym.
    3) A body that is used to living in one way is not used to living another. Like the sore muscles sickness is sometimes a showing of you getting a better body.
    Even Dr. Oz says that when you get sick it is your body trying to ride itself of posions and toxins that it KNOWS do not belong there.
    HOWEVER, that said, sometimes newbees hit it TOO hard and their bodys can not handle it, then you get sick and it is your bodies way of telling you that you might want to slow down. NOT STOP MIND YOU, just slow down.
    Take walks instead of running, and work out with a few hand weights. KEEPING your blood flowing and muscles working helps to get you on your feet faster.
    Oh and the person that said drink lots of water with lemon in it is on the right track too. :drinker:
    Hugs dear. Hope you get better soon, and understand... This is normal and will be over with before long. :smile:
    --Diann...
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon. Getting exercise doesn't have to just be at the gym... go for a walk, it may help you feel better. And then you can journal it and then you can get some extra calories that way. But don't beat yourself up. Look after yourself.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Sorry your not well:flowerforyou: Rest and fluids, chicken soup, crackers, regular 7up, and regular jello and vitamin c......hope you feel better soon.:heart: with respiratory you may even want to smear some Vick's on your chest, but make sure you button up and stay warm.