I ate too much on Christmas and New Year!

Options

Replies

• Valeska2017
    Valeska2017 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I ate way too much on Christmas and New Year and now I'm getting back on track again. I'm a little discouraged cause I feel I gained weight. I know I can't give up. Let's start it again!

Gosh, let me tell you my story... maybe it will help. I went to visit family the Friday before Xmas. At first, I was going to eat my normal calories and not enjoy any of my mom's cooking. On the trip from my sister's house to my parents, I decided to let loose over the weekend and eat what I wanted. Boy did I eat what I wanted. I had a food fest from Friday evening until Sunday night.

I returned home on Monday and the scale was up a whopping 16 pounds! Thank goodness, I knew that it was mainly water, undigested food, glycogen stores replenished and maybe a couple of pounds of actual fat.

I started my normal eating back on Monday after Xmas and by yesterday, I was down 14.6 pounds. One poster made an interesting comment once before. It's not what you do one or two days that counts, it's what you do on a consistent basis that makes the difference.

If you get back on track, you will see the weight fall back off. It's not all fat gain.

Good luck!

I've been eating healthy for the last 3 days and I'm happy to see my stomach going back to where it should be.. I ate all the chocolate and food I wanted from Christmas to New Year.. As a result by Jan 2nd I was sad cause I was feeling like I messed up big time and it would take me months to fix what I did.. Thank God I'm getting back on track faster than what I expected. I loved your story and I "maybe" next year I'll be more careful.. Maybe ;)
  • Valeska2017
    Options
    jattardi wrote: »
    Same story here. Back to tracking and eating under 1,700 calories today... and it's so hard! My body quickly got used to eating like crap again.

I definitely know the feeling.. I was eating everything I wanted.. and zero exercise.. For the last 3 days Im eating healthy again.. But let me tell you .. wow it's so hard to discipline myself after 2 weeks of overeating.. It was quite an experience and I m still processing what I did.. ;)
  • Valeska2017
    Options
    Eash84 wrote: »
    Me too. It was delicious. :p

Haa.. ;)
  • Valeska2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You're so not alone OP, lol.

Just get back on track!

I love all the comments cause it proves you are right.. Now let's all get back on track..
  • Valeska2017
    Options
    wowmanacat wrote: »
    I got off track once I had surgery in Sept and eat way too much over the next few month. December rolled around and everything went out the window, with all the cooking of sweets that I did. I still have over 10 dozen cookie dough balls in the freezer. I will make a few for dessert for us over the next few months, I will not give up my desserts just have to count them in is all.

I wish I could help you to eliminate your problem (sweets) I really like it too.. But I decided to stop so I can achieve my goal for 2017. Let's do it!
  • Valeska2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Me too...in regards to the big picture, it's pretty irrelevant.

Yes.. Let's focus on the big picture.. And I want to be small in it.. ;)
  • Valeska2017
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    It's in the past now. Put it behind you and get back to your routine. A few days (or weeks) of overeating will not destroy all of your progress unless you let it make you discouraged and complacent.

So true. I need to let it go. I think I already did. My goal for 2017 needs to be achieved. No more excuses.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    there are another 51 weeks to make up for it :-P
  • fkriser
    fkriser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too. Weighted myself and I gained five pounds of the thirteen that I've lost. Starting tomorrow it's a new day back to calorie counting and exercising. Good luck
  • Valeska2017
    Options
    fkriser wrote: »
    Me too. Weighted myself and I gained five pounds of the thirteen that I've lost. Starting tomorrow it's a new day back to calorie counting and exercising. Good luck

We can do it.. I've been eating healthy for 3 days and I started to feel good again..
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I ate way too much on Christmas and New Year and now I'm getting back on track again. I'm a little discouraged cause I feel I gained weight. I know I can't give up. Let's start it again!

Gosh, let me tell you my story... maybe it will help. I went to visit family the Friday before Xmas. At first, I was going to eat my normal calories and not enjoy any of my mom's cooking. On the trip from my sister's house to my parents, I decided to let loose over the weekend and eat what I wanted. Boy did I eat what I wanted. I had a food fest from Friday evening until Sunday night.

I returned home on Monday and the scale was up a whopping 16 pounds! Thank goodness, I knew that it was mainly water, undigested food, glycogen stores replenished and maybe a couple of pounds of actual fat.

I started my normal eating back on Monday after Xmas and by yesterday, I was down 14.6 pounds. One poster made an interesting comment once before. It's not what you do one or two days that counts, it's what you do on a consistent basis that makes the difference.

If you get back on track, you will see the weight fall back off. It's not all fat gain.

Good luck!

I've been eating healthy for the last 3 days and I'm happy to see my stomach going back to where it should be.. I ate all the chocolate and food I wanted from Christmas to New Year.. As a result by Jan 2nd I was sad cause I was feeling like I messed up big time and it would take me months to fix what I did.. Thank God I'm getting back on track faster than what I expected. I loved your story and I "maybe" next year I'll be more careful.. Maybe ;)

Why be more careful next year? The whole point is to understand that you didn't do any significant damage to your progress in such a short amount of time . In fact, when my weight is back to pre holiday norm in the first few days of January I think to myself, "man I should have eaten more!".
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Me too! Gained 6 pounds in 5 weeks! Wowee! It's ok, I'm not upset, it'll come off because I'm dedicated. December is like a cheat month for me, lol. It works for me. I'll get back to the lifestyle change that I guess is only 11 months out of the year in reality. I'm ok with it because I love food, good food, crappy food, I love it all. But now I've broken up with food as my bff and my comforter. Food works for me now, it doesn't own me anymore, so I'm not afraid of indulging for a bit, because I am fully in control. I choose to indulge, and then I choose to eat for fuel. I dunno, I think once I took the control back, the guilt, fear and shame I used to feel in gaining a couple pounds, doesn't happen anymore, and therefore doesn't hold me back from losing it again. But that took a whole year and a half of losing consistently and establishing excellent habits. The mindset shift doesn't happen after 15 pounds lost over a couple months. I'm 72 pounds lost, 1.5 years in. This is a permanent brain change for me. So excited to be able to say that and know it's true!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    So many of these threads....
    Get back on track and in no time any gain will be history... simple. :smiley:
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Me too...and I started doing it in November...damn those giant Toblerone bars that were on offer everywhere!
    I've re gained 8lbs of the 21 that I lost, some of which will come off very fast (hopefully!), but hey, I earned those lbs and I enjoyed myself while it lasted. That said, I'm also enjoying the feeling that comes from actual food rather than chocolate and sweets.
    Here's to a healthy 2017.
  • jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I "gained" 8 pounds in 6 days. It has been a week back on the wagon, and it is not coming off. NOT Happy.
  • WillaGCartwright
    WillaGCartwright Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Me too - (though I did really enjoy it!

Either way, all the best! You can do it!!
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Gained 14lb between Xmas and New Year, lost 7lb between NY and this morning. Just goes to show a big chunk of that gain was water/glycogen/food.
  • Valeska2017
    Options
    Me too! Gained 6 pounds in 5 weeks! Wowee! It's ok, I'm not upset, it'll come off because I'm dedicated. December is like a cheat month for me, lol. It works for me. I'll get back to the lifestyle change that I guess is only 11 months out of the year in reality. I'm ok with it because I love food, good food, crappy food, I love it all. But now I've broken up with food as my bff and my comforter. Food works for me now, it doesn't own me anymore, so I'm not afraid of indulging for a bit, because I am fully in control. I choose to indulge, and then I choose to eat for fuel. I dunno, I think once I took the control back, the guilt, fear and shame I used to feel in gaining a couple pounds, doesn't happen anymore, and therefore doesn't hold me back from losing it again. But that took a whole year and a half of losing consistently and establishing excellent habits. The mindset shift doesn't happen after 15 pounds lost over a couple months. I'm 72 pounds lost, 1.5 years in. This is a permanent brain change for me. So excited to be able to say that and know it's true!

That's so beautiful.. Yes! That self-control is a very important thing. When we achieve our goal as you did, the mindset changes and now we control food, and it means we control even when we want to eat more. We also manage to loose the pounds in because everything we did was conscious. Thank you for sharing your story!
  • Valeska2017
    Options
    daz2270 wrote: »
    Gained 14lb between Xmas and New Year, lost 7lb between NY and this morning. Just goes to show a big chunk of that gain was water/glycogen/food.

Im amazed by all the weight that is not real fat. But I think we need to get back on track ASAP so it doesn't become fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It's 2 days. Now if you overate from Christmas to New Year's, that's a different story. A day off eating shouldn't derail consistent habit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png