Running in the rain (new runner question)

Options
I'm new to running and doing the C25K program. The first week is a little too easy for me, so I'm taking short jogs outside as well.

Question: can you slip and fall on wet pavement?

There's a light rain here (very light), forecast for the whole day, and the gym is packed with people.

I ask because 2 years ago, I fell walking in snow, got a concussion, and don't want to repeat that. That was my fault entirely. I didn't take the snow seriously and took my dog out for a few minutes while I wore shoes with worn tread.

Replies

• irandamay
    irandamay Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If the road is slick or it's near freezing you certainly could, although I have never had a problem on wet pavement when temperatures are above freezing (and it's not mid-winter so the ground isn't frozen and cold).

Be wary of the painted lines, though, try to avoid them. Those definitely can get slick.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    irandamay wrote: »
    If the road is slick or it's near freezing you certainly could, although I have never had a problem on wet pavement when temperatures are above freezing (and it's not mid-winter so the ground isn't frozen and cold).

Be wary of the painted lines, though, try to avoid them. Those definitely can get slick.

Thanks, I appreciate the comment. It's not freezing here, so I'm going out then and will definitely avoid painted lines.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I run in the park when it rains. Be careful of painted lines, leaves, and different types of stone pavers if you encounter any of them. But cement and blacktop should be fine.
  • PennWalker
    Options
    I run in the park when it rains. Be careful of painted lines, leaves, and different types of stone pavers if you encounter any of them. But cement and blacktop should be fine.

Thanks, I forgot about leaves and didn't know about stone pavers (but do know that flat rocks are slippery when wet). I'm leaving in a few minutes for a nearby national park with loads with leaves etc. so this is helpful.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    The trick for running in the rain is very similar to running in snow.......keep your stride short, your front foot shouldn't extend too much beyond your hips keeping you well balanced and be aware of the surface conditions.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can slip and fall on wet pavement!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Don't forget a hat. My first run in the rain I did without and couldn't see where I was going. A hat with a nice brim makes a world of difference. Tight clothes are a must as well to avoid chafing.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Also avoid any manhole covers! I now envisage you zigzagging along the pavement. When running in the rain, it's best to go somewhere you're used to walking (dog walk route for instance) that way you actually know the terrain already and know where the potential hazards are. If you are unsure about a patch, slow your run or walk so you can test the surface.

My usual haunts are currently covered in leaves, bits of branch, mud (bloody council workers driving over the verge) and icy patches where the sun doesn't hit. I'm walking a fair bit in my usual runs but it's better to be safe than sorry. Best way round it is to find a non-pavemented path (dirt track etc) and run that instead.

Be wary of running on the grass as you may not see holes or ridges in the ground.

I also run with a hat and gloves if its cold just in case. i'd rather take it off than not have it. :D
  • PennWalker
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. lorrpb, I'm glad I didn't see your post or I wouldn't have gone!

It's pouring rain now. I skipped my favorite place with steep hills and jogged for 30 minutes along a mostly flat stretch with some gentle rolling hills. And I avoided all the painted lines (this is in a national park with several parking areas and pull off spots).

twinmom_11, I wore a cap, my neon orange slicker, and jogged with an umbrella, LOL.
  • PennWalker
    Options
    owieprone wrote: »
    Also avoid any manhole covers! I now envisage you zigzagging along the pavement. When running in the rain, it's best to go somewhere you're used to walking (dog walk route for instance) that way you actually know the terrain already and know where the potential hazards are. If you are unsure about a patch, slow your run or walk so you can test the surface.

My usual haunts are currently covered in leaves, bits of branch, mud (bloody council workers driving over the verge) and icy patches where the sun doesn't hit. I'm walking a fair bit in my usual runs but it's better to be safe than sorry. Best way round it is to find a non-pavemented path (dirt track etc) and run that instead.

Be wary of running on the grass as you may not see holes or ridges in the ground.

I also run with a hat and gloves if its cold just in case. i'd rather take it off than not have it. :D

Thanks. Fortunately, I don't have to walk or jog in an urban setting. I live across the road from a national park with lots of almost empty roads, horse trails, etc. I'm very famiiar with most of it. An urban setting has lots more hazards, like the icy patches and manhole covers you mention. I also agree about the grass hazards and stay out of that due to ticks and animal dens that might be covered up with high grass. I don't go out in ice anymore since I fell 2 years ago in snow and got a concussion. I joined a gym for that kind of weather, which was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Rain, though, I can handle the outdoors for a short while.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am not much of a rain runner and will check the radar before going to avoid it. The biggest slip issue I run into is many locations will have sprinklers on timers even when its below 32 Deg. I run at 5 in the morning so I can't till what is just wet vs ice. A great site is runnersworld what to wear. You plug in your size, how you like to feel, Temp & wind speed etc. It gives you a really accurate idea of what you need to wear. I always hated it when I got to the top of that first hill and realized I was way overdressed.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Penn, i'm now mega jealous! I love running off road, but oxfordshire is flat like pancake :( I have to drive for 30/45 mins to get a decent hill to scream down.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've slipped when it's dry out, so I'd say yes. I try to avoid the rain mostly because chaffing sucks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why not just start at week 2 or 3?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain. Enjoy it!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    Thanks. Fortunately, I don't have to walk or jog in an urban setting. I live across the road from a national park with lots of almost empty roads, horse trails, etc.

Forget running on pavement, you need to run some trails!!

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I've tripped when it's dry but never in the rain...Lol! Sounds like you took it easy. I typically wear a baseball made of dry fit material and a light raincoat/windbreaker, wearing more layers underneath depending on the temps. To me, running in the rain (unless it's a thunderstorm or flooding) is still better than a dreadmill!!

I just have to watch out for those city side walks with lights sticking up out of them!! Those things will jump up and trip you! (Whoever designed that probably wasn't a runner!) Lol!
  • PennWalker
    Options
    Why not just start at week 2 or 3?

Your idea is a good one, but I just finished Day 2, Week 1. I had to do Day 1 to find out it was too easy.

Apart from jogging on my own, I'm still going to follow the program because changing from walking to running to walking every 60-90 seconds throws me off, so I must be getting some benefit from that.
  • PennWalker
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    PennWalker wrote: »
    Thanks. Fortunately, I don't have to walk or jog in an urban setting. I live across the road from a national park with lots of almost empty roads, horse trails, etc.

Forget running on pavement, you need to run some trails!!

We have trails here, lots of horse trails across open fields (a muddy, poopy mess in the rain) and through woods. I definitely plan to jog the field trails. After my fall and concussion 2 years ago, I won't go off in the woods by myself in case I fall and it takes them a while to find my carcass.
  • PennWalker
    Options
    I've tripped when it's dry but never in the rain...Lol! Sounds like you took it easy. I typically wear a baseball made of dry fit material and a light raincoat/windbreaker, wearing more layers underneath depending on the temps. To me, running in the rain (unless it's a thunderstorm or flooding) is still better than a dreadmill!!

I just have to watch out for those city side walks with lights sticking up out of them!! Those things will jump up and trip you! (Whoever designed that probably wasn't a runner!) Lol!

I felt like a real hardcore runner, running in the pouring rain... except for the umbrella, LOL. Mary Poppins all the way.