Chocolate is Horrible

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    On top of having foods/drinks that you don't enjoy, these shakes are teaching you nothing. They aren't doing much for your diet right now because they are making it unpleasant, and they won't be doing much for your diet later because you will have formed very few habits beneficial for weight maintenance. There are plenty of nutritious and delicious foods that are low in calories.

There are these snack packs of tuna salad that I really like, noodle cups are nice and quick, you could even make your own meals food prepping for the week during weekends, or (and this is the easiest option) just eat like you always have, but in smaller portions, supplementing with random veggies for volume.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    True Nutrition has a fruit punch flavor that I like.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most of the shakes don't have much but protein, so if you want nutrition I'd do something else. (Some have powdered greens, but I'd rather get that stuff as food, although admittedly that's a prejudice.)

Anyway, if you really want one there are ones without flavor. I find it tastes neutral (I've used it in a smoothie or with oatmeal).

What are your calories and are there issues with bringing/eating things for lunch during the day?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    You don't actually need protein shakes but I use them if I'm low on protein for that day. I use an unflavoured whey isolate one and mix with almond milk. It doesn't taste of anything
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    huntress74 wrote: »
    I don't take a multivitamin. I read that they don't do much as they aren't absorbed into the body because of the coatings on them. I do take a few individual vitamins that are veggie caps, but not regularly. :/ Yes this powder has 35% calcium, and some iron and fiber, natural enzymes and is low carb. The one I am trying now is called 'BioTrust Low Carb.' My mother recommended it. It's all I can do to try and drink it. That's why I was looking for some other suggestions.

I'm am a dieting dummy. There is so much conflicting info out there, it's frustrating and a bit overwhelming. Eat this and that at this time but not that. Combine these foods, but not those. Micronutrients and macronutrients, low carb, glycemic index, paleo is the answer, vegan is the best, eat everything raw, cook with olive oil, dont' eat white food, all sugar is bad... What the heck are your really supposed to eat? I'm exhausted thinking about it, so I just drink water. LOL

My study is n=1, but when I am diligently taking multivitamins (for example, the two times I was pregnant, or now that I've been focusing on health and fitness for the past year and a half), I have noticed that my nails are Teflon strong, whereas they crack and break and split easily if I am not taking vitamins. (There are several times over the past week where I rammed a nail against something, and drew my hand back expecting it to be at least chipped, and it was fine). It's possible that the body doesn't absorb vitamins as well as the nutrients from real foods, but a lot of it will be absorbed and have a positive effect on your health.

For protein, I strongly second the recommendation of Greek yogurt. I have a plain 0% fat Oikos sitting next to me right now; it is 15 g protein for 80 calories, which is a much better profile than most shakes I have seen. I add a small amount of honey for maybe 25 extra calories, and a couple tablespoons of granola just to add interest.

When it comes to your diet, it can be as simple or as difficult as you want to make it. Basically, eat a crap-ton of fresh or frozen or even canned vegetables, a good amount of fruit, a decent amount of dairy and meat (with chicken and fish having some of the best profiles, but bacon and burgers are great in moderation too), a modest amount of bread, whole grain being the ideal, and treats as they will fit within your calorie goals.

I can understand feeling overwhelmed by all the noise out there, but just focus on common sense dietary goals, and soon enough it becomes second nature.
  • studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I never acquired a taste for flavored protein powder. So, I had to get creative with unflavored powder.
    I love chocolate. And I drink PB chocolate protein shake every day. It's the only meal I look forward to....it's like a dessert and doesn't leave a nasty film in my mouth like flavored powders do. Here is my recipe...

1 scoop unflavored whey
    1 TBS peanut butter
    1/2 banana (frozen)
    1/2 TBS natural cocoa
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup water
    Ice cubes
    Blend in vitamix or ninja

It's really good. Like a chocolate milkshake.

I also drink unflavored whey before bed with water.

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    huntress74 wrote: »
    I'm probably a weirdo, but I just can't stand the taste of chocolate or any type of milky sweet drink for that matter. I've tried to choke down various brands of vanilla and chocolate protein shakes (as that seems to be the go to flavors in so many "healthy" bars and shakes). Gag me! All they do is leave this nasty film in my mouth that makes me crave something salty like chips or cheese. I don't know what to do. I'd rather drink a gallon of salt water than choke down a chocolate shake. Is there some kind of fruit or punch flavor protein drink or something that anyone can recommend? :(
    Oh honey, count your blessing! I wish I hated chocolate.....

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sorry, double post.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I always keep Idealbars in my purse. They come in a variety of flavors, keep me full for hours, have balanced macros for me, and I love the flavors and texture (some bars are gritty or taste horrible, not these).
  • Jalexander33
    Jalexander33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Chicken is a really good source of Protein and it's lean. Opt for Drumsticks and remove skin over Chicken Breast. Breast is great don't get me wrong but it is easy to get a piece that is so dry you want it swimming in some sort of sauce or hot sauce.
    If you can afford it Salmon is even better than chicken and is leaner. You can bake it with slices of lemon and juice of lemon with pepper for seasoning. You can pan sear it with Pepper or whatever you like. I like to cut mine up and add it to a green salad with cherry tomatoes.
    Lots and lots of Protein. Shakes are alright but you don't have to force a shake into your food line up.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    FYI - Quest makes an unflavored protein powder you can mix with anything.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Tuna has a lot of protein and is low calorie.