Has this ever happened to you?

Options
gottagetitoff11
gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Im just looking for some advice.

About 2 weeks ago my bp started to creap up so i started eating better and cut out almost ALL salt (1000mg daily now) and was only eating 1300 calories.

I am 380 pounds i lost 2.8 pounds just yesterday.

Now for the bad part:
I think from not eating enough and cut out almost all my salt(1 big bag chips a day) my body is finally feeling it.

I got headaches, weakness, cant sleep, anxiety, bp goes way up upon getting on my feet and more. Now before you all say see dr i got appointment next week.

I know most of the symptoms i have are from not eating enough but im not sure of the symptoms of not enough salt.

Has this ever happened to anyone. Im using the app ow to make sure i eat enough calories. Like yestetday i had 2 egg salad sandwiches and 2 hotdogs no buns all day.

Please keep comments positive i can not deal with more badness right now.

Thanks

Forgot to mention that im peeing more as my guess less salt holding in the water..

Replies

• wowmanacat
    wowmanacat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would say that you are on the right path to getting healthy. try eating more fruits and vegetables in a day. for me, I start my day with 1 egg, 2 strips of bacon or 3 turkey bacon and a piece of whole grain/multigrain toast with 2 teaspoons of butter. for lunch, I have turkey, ham or another source of protein and a vegetable or fruit smooth. dinner is a protein like fish, steak, chicken or what have you vegetable and sometimes potatoes, rice or stuffing but not every night. I do not salt any of my food at the table but do use a bit while cooking. Most night I even have calories so that I can have a treat for dessert.
    Portion control is the biggest part of eating right. I use a kitchen scale and measuring cups and spoons for everything that I eat. most if the time I double the portion of vegetables to help fill me up for they are low in calories yet filling. Another thing is to try and stay away for process foods for they are very high in sodium most of the time.
    Shop the outer edge of the store this is where all the good foods are, produce, meat, and dairy. Frozen vegetables are better than canned for they have less salt.
    I hope this helps and be positive, you can do it it just take one day at a time.
    33579781.png
  • Spiegelchan
    Spiegelchan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the anxiety, but everything else sounds to me like a symptom of not eating enough. Can't sleep could either be from being hungry or from the anxiety. I think the main thing is that 1300 calories is too steep a drop from whatever you were eating before. I think maybe if you added in exercise, and then ate your exercise calories, you would feel a lot better and still have a big calorie deficit. Walking for an hour or two should net you a whole extra meal, which I think would eliminate some of the weakness and headache and heartrate going up just from standing. I know an hour might sound like a lot if you don't usually walk a lot, but if you split it up in the morning and evening it'll be more manageable.
    Also, I think egg salad has mayonnaise, which I believe might be high in calories? And hot dogs I think also have fatty parts of the meat which are high in calories? I'm not certain but I think they are. So maybe something like filet mignon and sweet potatoes, or beef stew, or even a chicken panini with lettuce and tomatoes will let you eat more volume of food for the same amount of calories? And volume is the key to keeping your belly full and happy, not calories :smile:
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Are you eating low carb or keto?

Some folks say that you get the keto flu when you first start and that you need salt.

BUT please double check on that because I don't do low carb or keto.
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Im not on low carb or keto. I just didnt eat for some reason. Thx
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    It will be good to see the DR and hear what they have to say. You are still getting a bit of salt with hot dogs, but definitely way less than you were before. I find that when I cut out specific things (for me it is currently sugar) I get withdrawl symptoms...fortunately it only lasted one day this time. I also would advocate for bulking up your diet with more fruits and veggies...are there some you like? I love sauteed mushrooms and smother turkey burgers or chicken with them quite happily for a big meal! The extra trips to the bathroom are definitely you body letting go of extra water it was holding onto with all of the salt. it's good to self monitor how you feel after eating too much of or too little of certain foods! Good for you for trying to get it under control!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    1300 calories/day is too few for someone who weighs 380 lbs. Maintenance for me at 165 is around 2200/day. You need to eat more, and maybe add back some salt. Your doctor will likely order a complete metabolic panel which will answer that question. Electrolyte balance is very important to the function of your heart and it can definitely cause the symptoms you are having. Good luck figuring this out and with your weight loss.
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you make drastic change in your diet, you can feel sick. Make sure you aren't doing a drastic change from your previous habits. Ease into change in a sustainable manner and you may feel better.

Hot dogs aren't a great choice on any diet. They alone could make you feel bad. I have found when I eat whole, unprocessed foods, I feel better than when I eat things like deli meat, prepackaged food etc. maybe keep an eye on the types of food you are eating and may notice which one triggers your bad feelings.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Our bodies need salt for the sodium, which is a vital component of normal physiology and necessary to maintain normal blood pressure, as well as muscle and nerve function. Sodium is an excellent preservative for foods, which is why it is present in lots of processed foods. Plus, it tastes good, so we eat more. Hot dogs are loaded with sodium in various forms!

Humans eating contemporary diets, therefore, tend to eat far too much sodium than we need, so we excrete most of it. We have lots and lots of checkpoints in our bodies to retain sodium if necessary (we just don't need to use them, since our diets tend to be sodium-excessive).

Without being a clinician, I would cautiously suggest that your health concerns are not because of insufficient salt. I would gently suggest that you make sure you are drinking adequate water. Again, however, I am not a health professional. Good luck with your appointment.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    As above really. You may find you don't get enough salt in your diet normally and the bag of crisps is actually your saviour (I have this issue). Try adding in something like high-5 zero, or o.r.s (oral rehydration salts) tablets in your drinks to add electrolytes back into your diet without it being in your food.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Im just looking for some advice.

About 2 weeks ago my bp started to creap up so i started eating better and cut out almost ALL salt (1000mg daily now) and was only eating 1300 calories.

I am 380 pounds i lost 2.8 pounds just yesterday.

Now for the bad part:
    I think from not eating enough and cut out almost all my salt(1 big bag chips a day) my body is finally feeling it.

I got headaches, weakness, cant sleep, anxiety, bp goes way up upon getting on my feet and more. Now before you all say see dr i got appointment next week.

I know most of the symptoms i have are from not eating enough but im not sure of the symptoms of not enough salt.

Has this ever happened to anyone. Im using the app ow to make sure i eat enough calories. Like yestetday i had 2 egg salad sandwiches and 2 hotdogs no buns all day.

Please keep comments positive i can not deal with more badness right now.

Thanks

Forgot to mention that im peeing more as my guess less salt holding in the water..

Is it possible you are not drinking enough water? Not coffee, not diet soda, but just water?
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Did you enter your weight, height, age, gender etc. into this app? How many calories did it give you per day? I'm sure it was a lot more than 1300, and you are probably feeling unwell from undereating.