How to count what I cooked meat in?

Options
Hello all, I am back on the calorie counting wagon after gaining quiet a few pounds over the holidays. It's a challenge since I'm 10.5 weeks into my first pregnancy, but I am determined :)

My question to you all is - If I cook a meat in a liquid, but don't eat that liquid, how do I count that?

For example, I put 4# of browned chuck roast in my crock pot, and filled it half with beef broth and half with red wine vinegar, plus herbs and spices. I can weigh or guess at how much roast I'm eating at a time, but how much calories should I be adding for the liquid surrounding/penetrating the food?

I have no idea... Any advice would be awesome!!

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it in that instance. I would think the calories would be negligible.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    For broth/vinegar/herbs, I'd just skip it. Sometimes I just log a weighed cooked meat and add in estimated grams of condiments that it was cooked with (BBQ, enchilada, honey mustard, etc).
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Question: Why not create a MFP Recipe and see what it comes up with.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you want to be VERY specific, measure out the exact amount you put in beforehand, and after it's done (and back to room temp), measure the liquid that is left. The difference in fluid ounces would most likely represent what was absorbed by the roast. I wouldn't put that much effort into it unless you were close to your goal weight and were struggling to see losses - I'd just go with the calories for the portion of meat you take.
  • cfer667
    cfer667 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I thought I was just being too nit-picky :) I will ignore it. Thanks all!
  • cfer667
    cfer667 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Question: Why not create a MFP Recipe and see what it comes up with.

Because the recipe thing will assume I consume all the liquid, which I am definitely not doing :)