Question About Heart Rate

Options
This may be a silly question, and I apologize beforehand if that's the case. Anyway, I was reading about what others were posting about heart rate and I realized that I might have a problem. I'm on medicine to regulate my heart. My resting heart rate is naturally quite low (around 55) and no matter how hard I exercise it doesn't really increase that much. I can run until I feel like I'm about to collapse, and check my heart rate only to find it's just in the low sixties. Will this effect my quality of exercise and calories burned? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Are you saying your resting heart rate doesn't increase with exercise, or your heart rate doesn't increase with exercise? If you're exercising hard, and your actual current heart rate is in the low 60s then you should see a doctor. As far as the resting heart rate, it usually goes down with exercise. A low resting heart rate is a sign of good cardiovascular health
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My heart doesn't go up with exercise. I do see a doctor and I'm on 3 pills for my heart - one being a long acting nitro to control the rhythm because I have angina and an irregular heartbeat. Unfortuntately it seems to also keep my heart rate from raising from exercise like it should.
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    A woman in her 30's I work out with takes high blood pressure pills. She never has a very high heart rate or burns many calories according to her HRM. One day, she had forgotten to take her medicine the night before she went to the gym. She did notice a slight hike that next day but otherwise the medicine is doing its job.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have a naturally low heart rate. It is usually 58-60 resting. I find that doing intervals of walking, and jogging get it up. The walking helps keep it higher than my resting rate, while I am resting to start jogging again.
    I hope this is helpful for you.

Edited to add: I am not on any meds for high blood pressure, or anything.
  • lucystacy71
    Options
    I take medicine for high blood pressure. If I don't take it, my bp goes up very, very high. I have to wonder if that really means I'm burning that much fewer calories.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Many blood pressure medications limit heart rate variability. Your slower heart rate doesn't mean you are burning less calories
    it means that because of your meds the formulas used by heart rate rate monitors no longer apply to you.

You need to be careful. Because your heart is cannot speed up you may not get enough oxygen to working muscles to accommodate your work load including your heart. If you feel a lot of burning in your muscles (from lactic acid buildup) or get very out of breath slow down

Also certain kinds of lifting raises your blood pressure, especially if you hold your breath while doing them. Here is an article from the mayo clinic.

You really need to consult with a medical professional instead of seeking advice in a forum like this

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weightlifting/AN00637
  • lucystacy71
    Options
    Thank you. I see my cardiologist next month and I will ask him. I'm just glad to know that all my efforts for exercise haven't been in vain, and I'm careful not to push myself too far.