Exercise that burns fat

Does anyone know of a great DVD workout that burns a lot of fat

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    To lose weight, eat in a caloric deficit. That means ingesting fewer calories than you burn. To do that, eat less or move more or do a combo of the two. All physical activity burns calories. That means that you can do any form of exercise that you enjoy and as long as you don't increase the amount you eat to match its calorie expenditure, you will have added to your calorie deficit.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    To lose weight, eat in a caloric deficit. That means ingesting fewer calories than you burn. To do that, eat less or move more or do a combo of the two. All physical activity burns calories. That means that you can do any form of exercise that you enjoy and as long as you don't increase the amount you eat to match its calorie expenditure, you will have added to your calorie deficit.

With that being said, P90X, Insanity, kickboxing,
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Somebody is going to come along and tell you that any exercise you do in "the fat burning zone" burns fat. That's technically true, but not useful to most people.

Exercise burns calories.

Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit. Or from surgery.

That means any exercise can be part of your weight loss journey. Which is good news! You don't have to do a thousand sit-ups or run a 5K. You don't even have to exercise at all (you could just eat less, and still lose weight), but you should exercise even if you don't strictly need to. The good news is you can do any type you enjoy.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    A calorie deficit. Exercise only succeeds in creating said deficit
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    What?

No forkputdown, platepushaway and getupfromthetable yet?

Geez. This place is slowing down.

:)

BTW, what they said above.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    fork put downs and table push aways.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    fork put downs and table push aways.

Hah.

Beat ya!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You burn fat when you consume less energy (calories) than you expend. Regular exercise increases energy expenditure...but the exercise itself isn't "fat burning" I'm in maintenance....I exercise quite a bit...I maintain because I eat at a level commensurate with my activity...i.e. my energy consumption is roughly equal to my expenditure.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    "Auto da fe" by Tomas de Torquemada.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I certainly don't want to dissuade you in your exercise endeavors but I wanted to add my experience.

Every time I tried something aggressive I ended up injuring myself, being so sore or couldn't finish it after a few times and I gave up. Perhaps this isn't aggressive for you but when you say "burns a lot of fat" it sounds like it:).

I started something as simple as walking and added 15 min to it as I could. That did 3 things for me...
    1. Built confidence
    2. Elevated my mood
    3. Most importantly I saw progression - determined to walk 15 min turned into a 5k in 1 1/2 month.

I've since added strength training and so far I've stuck to it and had no injuries.

best!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I certainly don't want to dissuade you in your exercise endeavors but I wanted to add my experience.

Every time I tried something aggressive I ended up injuring myself, being so sore or couldn't finish it after a few times and I gave up. Perhaps this isn't aggressive for you but when you say "burns a lot of fat" it sounds like it:).

I started something as simple as walking and added 15 min to it as I could. That did 3 things for me...
    1. Built confidence
    2. Elevated my mood
    3. Most importantly I saw progression - determined to walk 15 min turned into a 5k in 1 1/2 month.

I've since added strength training and so far I've stuck to it and had no injuries.

best!

Good advice.

I started with walking too. Actually, I started with a month of just focusing on what I ate. Then the second month I added walking (3x/week.) I'd up the walk a little bit each week. After that I added bodyweight exercises 3x/week. Eventually I switched to the C25k program (run/walk intervals moving up to full running) and lifting weights.

Baby steps :)