Need more potassium

Options
2»

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Also, canned 100% pumpkin puree is amazing. 50 kcals for 350mg potassium. It's not coffee or leafy greens, but man, mix a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon into it, and it's an amazing side dish.

I use a lot of canned pumpkin to make muffins. You can also add it to shakes if you drink them.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Also, canned 100% pumpkin puree is amazing. 50 kcals for 350mg potassium. It's not coffee or leafy greens, but man, mix a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon into it, and it's an amazing side dish.

I use a lot of canned pumpkin to make muffins. You can also add it to shakes if you drink them.

For a while, my go to "dessert" was a can of pumpkin, 40g vanilla casein or mpc, and cinnamon. The stuff is just awesome all around.
  • bcchast
    bcchast Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bcchast wrote: »
    Coffee has more potassium than bananas actually, bananas are ranked like not even in the top 1000 sources of potassium, random fact for the day. Gonna edit this now that I saw how many other people posted about coffee. Anyways the below is still relevant

Not to state the total obvious and ruin the thread but no one mentioned supplements. I don't know if that's a no no or what, but I find that eating the calories I need VS the specific sources ( I.E. like proteins and fats) I supplement. Anyway the daily potassium intake advised is like 4000mg or something close depending on weight, age, sex, hieght. So I use supplements for a lot of those things just like vitamins. Just something to look at I guess.

My multi only has 80 mg of potassium, and I'm under the impression that in the U.S., you have to have prescription to get a supplement with more than 100 mg of potassium--although something I was just reading on the FDA site suggests to me that that may be due to cautionary tactics of vitamin/supplement makers in response to FDA guidance, rather than an absolute restriction by the FDA.

I'm not sure the regulations. You may only be able to purchase smaller doses of potassium here in the US, I guess my point was that if someone is having a problem reaching a certain intake goal and they aren't willing to STRICTLY eat to correct it, then supplements will help. I don't really want to take in 250g of protein every day, there's only so much chicken and fish I can take, so I supplement. Same with iron and fats and vitamins.... so on and so on.
    The true fact is that unless you have an actual medical deficiency then potassium doesn't need to be exact and as long as you are eating right, you will be fine, no matter +\- "suggested intake" I would honestly have to sit and try to add up how much potassium I take in, I don't get overly hung up on it, bc I'm healthy, strong, eat right and very active. I focus on fueling my body, not making all the tickers in an app turn green.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    Coffee has more potassium than bananas actually, bananas are ranked like not even in the top 1000 sources of potassium, random fact for the day. Gonna edit this now that I saw how many other people posted about coffee. Anyways the below is still relevant

Not to state the total obvious and ruin the thread but no one mentioned supplements. I don't know if that's a no no or what, but I find that eating the calories I need VS the specific sources ( I.E. like proteins and fats) I supplement. Anyway the daily potassium intake advised is like 4000mg or something close depending on weight, age, sex, hieght. So I use supplements for a lot of those things just like vitamins. Just something to look at I guess.

My multi only has 80 mg of potassium, and I'm under the impression that in the U.S., you have to have prescription to get a supplement with more than 100 mg of potassium--although something I was just reading on the FDA site suggests to me that that may be due to cautionary tactics of vitamin/supplement makers in response to FDA guidance, rather than an absolute restriction by the FDA.

It's because too much potassium will kill you.

So will too much iron, and many other minerals. That's not why the restriction is there. It's because high dosing potassium in the absence of food can damage the digestive tract, and people are stupid. Even still, the FDA restriction is absurdly low.

I take in roughly 9-13g of potassium per day. If total intake were going to kill someone, I'd have keeled over long ago. Instead, my blood pressure and water regulation has never been better. It's all about the acute dosage, and not being an idiot, as with any vitamin/mineral.
  • bcchast
    Options

So will too much iron, and many other minerals. That's not why the restriction is there. It's because high dosing potassium in the absence of food can damage the digestive tract, and people are stupid. Even still, the FDA restriction is absurdly low.

I take in roughly 9-13g of potassium per day. If total intake were going to kill someone, I'd have keeled over long ago. Instead, my blood pressure and water regulation has never been better. It's all about the acute dosage, and not being an idiot, as with any vitamin/mineral.

Exactly, anything you put into your body, ANYTHING, at an extreme and/or continuos dosage can kill you, some thing's fast, some thing's slow. You have to be smart with your body. Or natural selection will help you out lol
    Again, watch the video I posted, that guy explains a lot about it. I'm not a vegan in any way shape or form but, that video was very thorough.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    When I had surgery last year they checked my potassium level. They told me that I was one of the few patients that they get that fell into the normal range...most people were low. I think that is why the food labels are now requiring it to be listed along with vitamin D which is another thing that people are commonly low.

According to the research I have done and the info that doctors have given me normal potassium levels are between a 3.5-5.0. They recommend eating between 3500 - 4700mg of potassium daily.

Please keep in mind that there are medical conditions such as kidney disease that too much potassium can be deadly.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

No *kitten*. That's what too much means.

Higher dose potassium in the form is span k (slow release) or a slightly lower dose in chlorvescent can be given orally with GI side effects shown at doses of about 32mg/kg however if you needed this much they would give it IV in a hospital setting. With cardiac monitoring.

These are prescription only as hyperkalemia (high potassium) can cause lethal arrhythmias and cardiac arrest.

I have seen people go into cardiac arrest from both hypokalemia and hyperkalemia.

Believe what you want to believe though; this is after all just the Internet.

• bcchast
    edited January 2017
    Options
    x7k36e7zr6k7.jpg

Higher dose potassium in the form is span k (slow release) or a slightly lower dose in chlorvescent can be given orally with GI side effects shown at doses of about 32mg/kg however if you needed this much they would give it IV in a hospital setting. With cardiac monitoring.

These are prescription only as hyperkalemia (high potassium) can cause lethal arrhythmias and cardiac arrest.

I have seen people go into cardiac arrest from both hypokalemia and hyperkalemia.

• Gallowmere1984
    Options

Oh, I know it can be fatal, and in retrospect, my wording wasn't the best. My intent was to highlight how absurdly low the FDA's restriction is, in relation to the amount of potassium needed for normal function, let alone a fatal overdose. You'd have to eat like forty of the supp pills at max allowable dosage to get anywhere near causing problems.

I'm not talking about prescription or medical use at all, as those are well outside the realm of what was (or should be) being discussed here.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have low potassium too. I just checked the V8 low sodium in my refrig. Has 1180 mg potassium.