Need motivation advice

Options
I try so hard to find motivation to keep working out but I always make it a week and lose my motivation. I was just wondering what keeps everyone else motivated to working out. I really need advice...I have already lost 40 lbs but I wanna lose more and I can't if I keep giving up.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't want to Go back to where I started. That's ENough to keep me following my plan. I don't always "feel motivated", I just do what I decided to do because like the results. "Motivation" feeings are way overrated, IMO.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Find something that you truly enjoy. No motivation needed when you look forward to it everyday.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Make smaller more attainable goals. Also make goals besides the weight loss. Why do you want to lose? Is it to turn heads? To run a Spartan? To kick *kitten*? Think beyond the weight loss and look to what you can do when you get there. Good luck!
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My kids. They are young and full of energy. I want to keep up with them everyday and still have the energy to take some time in the evening after they are in bed for myself, not just collapse and crash because I haven't taken good enough care of my body.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, but I've personally found that surrounding myself (either in real life or virtually) with like-minded people who share similar goals with regard to health, fitness, nutrition and/or weight loss is a huge motivator for me. I do much better when I have a "we're all in this together" attitude vs. a "it's just me and my dad bod" attitude. I'm also a fairly competitive person, so something like signing up for a race in the near future is a great way to motivate my training.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need discipline, not motivation. Big difference. Motivation is fleeting, discipline is reliable and comes from within.

Get out and do it and quit making excuses. Waiting until you feel motivated won't get the job done.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What do you plan to do with your new fit self? I want to climb a mountain. Two years of go my goal was to complete a tough mudder.

I work well with consequences and accountability. I wanted to acquit myself well so I kept training.

I find fitness machines to be deadly boring with no destination. So I pick a bigger goal to prepare for.

My new arm muscles came in handy today. I was lugging several litres of soda all over the office. Easy peasy.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    FOR ME this is what has helped me stay pretty much on track for 6 months so far...

Start with something reasonable that you enjoy (sometimes you don't know what you enjoy until you try:))
    Start off slow, no need to go balls to the walls so to speak right off the bat.
    Do something that you can see progress (this not only kept me motivated but also gave me confidence)

I'm 50f and I have never worked out consistently in my life longer than 1-2 weeks until 6 months ago. I started walking 15 min. I slowly added minutes as I felt stronger. In a month 1/2 I went from an outta breath 15 min walk to a 5k.

I've now added strength training, which I've always hated, I'm happy to say on week 2 I'm beginning to get in a small groove and thinking I don't hate it after all.

This is at least my experience:), hope it helps.
  • Jokerz9
    Jokerz9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Text me iif you need any help