Maintenance Fitness Program

As part of my weight loss efforts, I did a massive amount of walking and then progressed to running--typically 10 miles a day paired with 3x per week lifting. I want to dial it back and was hoping for some input. I'm limited to the great outdoors, a well-stocked home gym and 60 minutes a day.

My thought is:
Tues/Thur/Sat - 5x5 & 15 mins foam rolling
Weds/Fri/Sun - Sprint/jog intervals 45 mins & 15 mins stretching
Monday - walk/yoga/light stretching
Does that sound like an appropriate mix? I'd like to work on flexibility and not feeling so tight in the hips.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Sounds great! I might swap Wed and Mon, but I tend to be sore after the first lifting day of the week. (probably because I only do 2 days/week)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    @DancingMoosie my thought was that Mondays are pretty stressful (back to work and all) and a good day to be a little lower calorie to make up for weekend indulgences, so take it easier. Thank you for taking time to comment.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,756 Member
    looks good to me. You obviously put a lot of thought into this and will monitor closely to see how your body adjusts and reacts.
    Good luck
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Looks good to me.

When losing I didn't do quite as much exercise as you did, but definately a 2-4 hrs a week more than I do now.
    I went into maintenance knowing my average calorie burn per hr and that helped me find and adjust my maintenance cals easily.

My week is similar to yours.
    Mon, Wed, Fri - lift (all pro)
    Tue, Fri- cardio. (Whatever takes my fancy) I use to do a full hour but now do between 30-60 min depending on how my energy levels are as I am focused more on my lifting.
    Sat- rest
    Sun- yoga 90 min. I find doing it on Sundays leaves me feeling well stretched and relaxed for my heaviest lifting day on Monday.

Run your plan for a couple of months and see how you feel and if your calories are enough to satisfy you.

The nice thing about maintenance is you can play with your numbers, exercise and activity and still keep within your weight range.

Cheers, h.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Thank you everyone!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Congrats on reaching maintenance. My view is a bit different. Exercise is for fitness & health, more so than weight loss. I want to keep improving my fitness during maintenance rather than dial it back. If you taper off your deficit to .5 lb per week (250 per day) as recommended during the last 10-20 lbs, then there's hardly any adjustments to be made when you officially reach maintenance. The calories difference amounts to a couple of desserts per week and a few extra snacks or glasses of wine!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you'll find your lifts improving as you lessen your mileage per week. Good luck!