Help me hit my 1500 lbs lifting goal

Options
MrNeverSatisfied
MrNeverSatisfied Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 37 and i've been lifting for 6 years now and have decided to try and hit 1500 lbs. Bench squat deadlift by the time I'm 40. I'm at 325 bench 405 squat and 495 deadlift. I would like to get to 400,500 and 600. I need an edge. Any tips or suggestions on routines and supplements would be appreciated.

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What kind of program are you running currently? What's your current body weight if you don't mind answering?

A simple blanket answer would be to eat in a surplus, find a program that focuses on building those three compound lifts (with accessory work to build on those lifts as well), and get enough sleep. Squat and deadlift have a pretty good chance of bumping pretty high over a three year span. 275 pounds is a good bit of weight, but 3 years is enough time if you're patient and lift smart.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Impressive numbers! I can't even imagine a 325 bench, much less a 400! Madcow or the Texas Method would help you?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is going to sound like some pompous *kitten*, but it's not meant to be. When you say lifting for six years, do you mean six years of hard, consistent training, or six years of on again, off again *kitten* off in tge gym three days per week?

Also, what's you current bodyweight and BF%?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound like some pompous *kitten*, but it's not meant to be. When you say lifting for six years, do you mean six years of hard, consistent training, or six years of on again, off again *kitten* off in tge gym three days per week?

Also, what's you current bodyweight and BF%?

This is important... I've "been lifting" for about 3 years, but I've never had a lot of consistent deadlift training. After about 3 months of really working on it and doing the assistance work I need for my weak points (usually the exercises I don't like to do, but need to), it's already shot up over 50 lbs from my previous best.
    Eat, sleep, find and follow a good program.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I did the 1500lb club at 37 I weighed 270 carried a lot of Muscle and Fat best advice I can give you is only do those three lifts use wraps, belts good form and eat a lot to add some weight to your body as a heavy body can move more weight. I was 37 in the Picture with the my son in my Profile I big *kitten* dude back then my arms were like 23 inches.. I can still bench over 300 at my current 180 lbs don't deadlift over 315 or squat over 315 any longer but can still do them for six reps

Then Now Pics

ck1of8n7f0pf.jpg

g7bmcnwqwblv.jpg

• KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Are you training solo or with a partner or a PL team? If you're solo, find a partner, or even better, a PL team with some long term experienced competitive lifters. I added 100 lbs to my total by bringing on a squat coach and DL partner. Added another 80 lbs in 6 months by increasing my lifting team since one partner can't always push you to be the best in all the lifts. Try to train with those who are already hitting those numbers and higher. Nothing pushes me harder than a little friendly competition. :)
  • MrNeverSatisfied
    Options
    I weigh 250 and body fat is low to mid 20s (thats a educated guesstimate). For 3 years I was consistently going 5 to 6 days a week. Doing a 3 day in 1 day off routine. Chest/triceps back/biceps legs/shoulders. Tore a meniscus and was off for about 6 months and took another 6 months to get back to where I had left off. For the last 2 years I've been doing a 5 day 1 day off routine. Giving me more recovery time. I've plateaued and have tried low reps and High Reps and just can't seem to move my numbers.
  • KickboxFanatic
    Options
    What program are you running?
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    I weigh 250 and body fat is low to mid 20s (thats a educated guesstimate). For 3 years I was consistently going 5 to 6 days a week. Doing a 3 day in 1 day off routine. Chest/triceps back/biceps legs/shoulders. Tore a meniscus and was off for about 6 months and took another 6 months to get back to where I had left off. For the last 2 years I've been doing a 5 day 1 day off routine. Giving me more recovery time. I've plateaued and have tried low reps and High Reps and just can't seem to move my numbers.

Those numbers are definitely attainable at that body weight. As for plateauing: what's your diet like? Are you eating in a deficit, maintenance, or surplus of your TDEE? If you've been lifting regularly for that long, it's almost a certainty that the window is expired for new gains associated with new lifters. Look into conjugate method training. It could be time to start training the weak points of your lifts (EXAMPLE: slow off of the floor for deadlifts or having trouble locking out the top portion of bench press). Conjugate Method allows you to focus on your weak points and then put it all together for the lift.

I feel like I'm all over the place with this explanation, but all you really need to get out of my comment is: make sure you're eating at least slightly above maintenance and look into conjugate method training (something like Westside Barbell).
  • MrNeverSatisfied
    Options
    I am currently running a 12 week Pyramid program. 12/10/8/6/4 weight is based on % of max. Day 1 chest Day2 legs Day3 arms Day 4 back Day5 shoulders
  • KickboxFanatic
    Options
    did you develop the program or is a reputable PL strength building program??
  • not_a_runner
    Options

Those numbers are definitely attainable at that body weight. As for plateauing: what's your diet like? Are you eating in a deficit, maintenance, or surplus of your TDEE? If you've been lifting regularly for that long, it's almost a certainty that the window is expired for new gains associated with new lifters. Look into conjugate method training. It could be time to start training the weak points of your lifts (EXAMPLE: slow off of the floor for deadlifts or having trouble locking out the top portion of bench press). Conjugate Method allows you to focus on your weak points and then put it all together for the lift.

I feel like I'm all over the place with this explanation, but all you really need to get out of my comment is: make sure you're eating at least slightly above maintenance and look into conjugate method training (something like Westside Barbell).

I was actually just running a Conjugate variation, I think working the heavy deads frequently was a big part of why mine has done so well.
    (If you're interested, Massthetics on youtube has some good videos explaining how to set it up and add weak point training. I think one of them is around 180 and deadlifting 700+)
    Add weak point training even if you don't go this route though! Assistance work for weak points should be done regardless. Core work, triceps, and hamstrings have been my main focus. Hamstrings seem to be a common weak point for many lifters.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

I was actually just running a Conjugate variation, I think working the heavy deads frequently was a big part of why mine has done so well.
    (If you're interested, Massthetics on youtube has some good videos explaining how to set it up and add weak point training. I think one of them is around 180 and deadlifting 700+)
    Add weak point training even if you don't go this route though! Assistance work for weak points should be done regardless. Core work, triceps, and hamstrings have been my main focus. Hamstrings seem to be a common weak point for many lifters.

Garrett couldn't deadlift 405 with a stiff bar though! LOL, just playing. Love those guys (they're so delightfully vulgar).
  • not_a_runner
    Options

Garrett couldn't deadlift 405 with a stiff bar though! LOL, just playing. Love those guys (they're so delightfully vulgar).

HAHAHA!
    They just went to see Goohmuh (no idea how you would spell that...) and he only had stiff bars at his gym! I think they almost walked out lol
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are running a bodybuilding program and not a powerlifting split. You have some good strength and at your weight, those lifts are attainable but will take time.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    After I finish my heavy lift work, most of my assistance work is basically done in a bodybuilding style.
    But I agree, a day devoted to just arms or shoulders is not the most effective way to train for powerlifting.
    I've tried to add a few "bodybuilding" days around my heavy days, but I feel much better when I don't do that and take the extra day or two for recovery. Put your arm and shoulder work in after you do your compound lifts.
    Take a look at Dave Tate's LTT8 (learn to train) video on youtube. It's about an hour long, but he explains how you want to focus your workout around the Big 3 lifts. Assistance work is important, but you want to focus it around your strength training, not the other way around. You may want to look into another program.
  • MrNeverSatisfied
    Options
    I watched Dave Tates LTT8. It's going to help me out tremendously. Thank You
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Great numbers. Are their any really good trainers in your area? Might be worth a few sessions for someone to tweak any form issues and some program suggestions. Maybe follow up every 2-3 months to check form and modify programming based on progress

Best of luck.
  • MrNeverSatisfied
    Options
    Little update I have started Bike Mike's Westside template. Thank you all for pointing my in the right direction. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw9.htm
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Find the weakest part of your each lift and overload that range in the rep. Back in the day we did rack lockouts. Just doing the 3 lifts will only get you so far then progression slows to a stop.