Weight training muscle groups

Options
I am wondering if I can get some advice. Recently (about 2 weeks ago) I bought some weight training equipment (bench and adjustable dumbbells) and every day I do around 15 to 20 mins of weights and core after 40mins of cardio. At the moment I am only really doing core (crunches, planks, etc) every day and then biceps and chest one day and triceps, forearms and shoulders the next. I want to know, if i want to do weights every day (nothing too heavy, but pretty close to failure towards the end) which muscle groups should I work in tandem and how many rotational groups do you recommend?

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Here's a nice dumbbell strength routine posted on MFP. If you're looking to get stronger, this is a good place to start.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

If you're just starting out, don't worry about doing any kind of split, and concentrate on compound lifts instead of isolation lifts. Do a full body routine every time you workout. When strength training is new to you, you will probably be better served lifting before cardio (just do a light warmup first), so you're not too tired while you're trying to learn new stuff.