Freeze-Dried Soup Mixes ...

Options
mjbnj0001
mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
Hello all,

I'm curious about recommendations on freeze-dried soup mixes, suitable for stovetop, pressure cooker or slow cooker preparation. NOT survivalist-type provisions, just ordinary mixes.

I have a bad new year's bronchitis, and was frustrated looking in the pantry this evening for some chicken noodle soup to supplement my antibiotics. None was there. But I had chicken stock (Kitchen Basics Unsalted), leftover baked chicken breasts, lots of freeze-dried herbs (most of the Lite House brand plus others), and couscous. So I made up a quick stovetop soup with this stuff and the result I thought was pretty good.

Got me to thinking about pre-made mixes. On a night like this, I really don't have the energy to get super creative or ambitious, even though I also have pantry stock of lentils, rice and barley, etc.

Can be purely vegetarian, or suited for chicken/beef/port inclusion, etc.

Thanks!
Mike

Replies

• ladynasdaq
    ladynasdaq Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I bought Bear Creek Darn Good Chili. It is so easy to make. Add 7 cups water and a can of tomato paste. Ate that today. Sis has been dealing with a bad cold. Weird but a lot of symptoms subsiding since she ate a cup of this.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I have used supermarket soup mix before and they are fine. Have added potatoes, chicken and extra seasoning
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I've been debating on buying the large container of dehydrated veggies from Amazon to try in soup mixes. Ingredients in this one are carrots, onions, tomatoes, peas, celery, green peppers, green beans, and parsley. Anyone have any experience with this?

v78uiexbdo2o.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Thanks, all. When I'm back on my feet (still pretty miserable with this bronchitis), I've got some things to check. I notice that Amazon does have lots of options on the HH items.
  • rutzsa
    rutzsa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Second Bear Creek soups found in supermarket and Walmart. I like to add a can of chicken to the chicken noodle soup for extra protein.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bear Creek is pretty good!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    If you can get fresh veggies...it's pretty easy to dice up some celery, carrots, and onion and then add chicken stock. You could also add some diced chicken and noodles, rice or cous cous if you wanted!
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    If you can get fresh veggies...it's pretty easy to dice up some celery, carrots, and onion and then add chicken stock. You could also add some diced chicken and noodles, rice or cous cous if you wanted!

sure thing, thanks. something like like that kicked off this thread. i'm coming out of a bad bronchitis, where i didn't have the energy to pick up a knife and chop. i took chicken stock, dried herbs, diced leftover chicken breast and couscous and made up a decent - and comforting - chicken soup. so i began thinking of freeze dried veggies as a pantry items for the occasional use. now i'm a little better, but we're getting 3-5 inches of snow today, and not having shopped this week, the fresh produce is way down too - another reason freeze dried might have a place on my shelves (fresh is always best, yes).

thanks again, all. i see i'm going to have to check out some options.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    When I am low in fresh produce (or tired, sick or lazy to chop) I use frozen vegetables in my soup. Any variety such as Frozen California style, Frozen Vegetables for stew are good options. Just chop an onion, add the frozen vegetables and chicken, vegetable or beef broth. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer until the vegetables are soft. Add any seasoning of your choice. You can use a hand held blender and pure the soup or add a can of chicken meat and/or some noodles. It freezes well.

Edited to add: I hope that you get well soon. <3
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    When I am low in fresh produce (or tired, sick or lazy to chop) I use frozen vegetables in my soup. Any variety such as Frozen California style, Frozen Vegetables for stew are good options. Just chop an onion, add the frozen vegetables and chicken, vegetable or beef broth. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer until the vegetables are soft. Add any seasoning of your choice. You can use a hand held blender and pure the soup or add a can of chicken meat and/or some noodles. It freezes well.

Edited to add: I hope that you get well soon. <3

thanks for the good wishes. should have also mentioned, we had a full house of family over the holidays - the freezer got hit up also. haven't replenished yet. "when it rains, it pours" LOL.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    These are my two favorites. I order them from Amazon regularly.

Spacarelli Sicilian Split Pea Soup Mix
    Shore Lunch Creamy Wild Rice Soup Mix