Binging after work

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    scorpius93 wrote: »
    Anybody have any tips on how to control your appetite after work?

I do so well all day. I eat a good breakfast, and good lunch. My job is very active so I get plenty of exercise.
    Then I get home, and I'm tired. I've been fighting off junk food all day. I have nothing to distract me or keep me busy so I grab a plate full of snack foods and eat like I'm starving. It's so hard to not. My roommate buys junk food, and it's always in the house. Its no use telling her not to. She won't do it.

Bring your after work snack.....to work. Eat it right before you go home, or in the car on the drive home. That way you walk in the door.....you've already had your snack.

I've done the grazing thing myself. A little bit of this, a little bit of that. Then I log the calories and I'm shocked.....it all adds up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I do so well all day. I eat a good breakfast, and good lunch. My job is very active so I get plenty of exercise.
    Then I get home, and I'm tired. I've been fighting off junk food all day. I have nothing to distract me or keep me busy so I grab a plate full of snack foods and eat like I'm starving. It's so hard to not. My roommate buys junk food, and it's always in the house. Its no use telling her not to. She won't do it.

I wonder if you're not eating enough during the day so are truly hungry, and that is leading you to make bad choices.

I agree with the advice to have a snack before you get home.

My breakfast is really filling so I often don't get around to lunch until 3 ish, which makes it easy for me to last until dinner. But if for some reason I am up earlier and having my meals earlier, I have easy, go to snacks to get me through.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wonder if you're not eating enough during the day so are truly hungry, and that is leading you to make bad choices.

I agree with the advice to have a snack before you get home.

My breakfast is really filling so I often don't get around to lunch until 3 ish, which makes it easy for me to last until dinner. But if for some reason I am up earlier and having my meals earlier, I have easy, go to snacks to get me through.

I had the same thought.

I hold off on breakfast until about 9:30, even though I'm up at 5:00. Lunch around 1:00. Snack around 3:00. Gym after work, dinner around 8:00.

I also pre-log my meals as much as possible. By logging first thing in the morning, I know how many calories I have to play around with. I have some chocolate or ice cream pretty much every night.
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I eat something on the way home (a banana, granola bar, etc.) because I could easily do this as well. I also snack while I cook and proactively eating something keeps me from snacking more.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Pre-log! Best advice I can give. Pre-log all that stuff that you know you're inevitably gonna eat into your diary, but in smaller portions.
  • horror_mama
    horror_mama Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older post, but my goodness, this is me every day. I get up in the mornings and get myself and my son ready for school and I work while he's in school. I get home and I have to get dinner together, homework done, baths, clothes and lunches for the next day within 3 hours because once my husband gets home, it's dinner, and I think I have 30 minutes to unwind and I usually just cave and eat whatever. I eat really healthy through the day, but once I'm home, it's all over.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Why are you binging?

If stress, put dinner on then take a shower while it heats. Tea is nice too.

If hungry, eat a small snack before leaving work. Then have a salad or veggie appetizer while dinner heats. Or preplan a ready to eat snack for yourself to have when you get home.

If the food helps you relax or wind down, get a relaxing hobby like reading, journaling, or crocheting.

I have the same problem, but replacing the binge with a healthier habit helps.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    @horror-mama you could pre-log some snacks that fit into your calorie goal to eat during that time. Pre-logging them might help you keep the binging to a minimum. Do you have to wait for your husband to get home before eating dinner? Also, like the poster above said, you can try finding other hobbies to keep your mind and hands busy.
  • sydlovesscience
    sydlovesscience Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i struggle with the same thing, but i find that planning out what im going to have when i get home and pre logging it helps me stick with what i have planned for. sometimes i have something on top of it, but i find if its once a week its not to bad as, i am maintaining.
  • KaylaMack013
    KaylaMack013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to be in your shoes. I have found that when I meal prep all of my meals I have no excuse.

Also I recommend you get balanced meals throughout the day. Your body is obviously craving carbs so perhaps add some more healthy carbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older post, but my goodness, this is me every day. I get up in the mornings and get myself and my son ready for school and I work while he's in school. I get home and I have to get dinner together, homework done, baths, clothes and lunches for the next day within 3 hours because once my husband gets home, it's dinner, and I think I have 30 minutes to unwind and I usually just cave and eat whatever. I eat really healthy through the day, but once I'm home, it's all over.

Sounds like you are not eating enough between lunch and dinner?