150 pound loss...50 more to go..stuck in a rut..suggestions???

Options
Hello, it's my first time posting on myfitness pal although I have been using it for the past year to help with my weight loss. I have to date in the last year lost 150 pounds. I did this on a budget and on my own(exercise, healthier eating, and food logging). I have 50 pounds to go and despite the feeling of knowing I have achieved a lot (considering where I started) I'm having such a tough time not eating over my calorie allowance (I try to shoot for 1,200 but end up around 2,000). I feel like the weight loss has really slowed to a crawl and I need to shake things up to get the rest of this weight off. I work out 3-4 hours a day (mainly high resistance cardio on the eliptical machine and stationary bike at the gym, weekly hikes, and kayaking)To try something different I thought I would reach out to the community and see if there are people out there who have been in this situation and how they managed to push through and get the rest off?

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I found myself a bit in that situation and realized I was suffering from diet exhaustion. Taking a two week break from the calorie deficit (and counting to be honest) helped a huge amount. I'm back on the deficit now and attacking the next 10kg. Once I reach those, I'll give myself another break. :smile:

bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

ETA: Awesome job on that 150lbs loss!!! That's quite a bit of work you did there. :smile:
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Turn it into a positive and try and maintain for a month or 2, when you lose the extra 50 you will have to maintain anyway, so have a practice now. I got to that point and failed, so hey ho back again.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat at maintenance for awhile. relax. let your body, and mind, adjust.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above, take a diet break or eat at maintenance. I have a hard time being kind to myself and it sounds like maybe you do too. If you go into maintenance or take a break you WILL NOT gain back that 150 pounds. I fought taking a break because I was scared the "old" me would come rushing back and all my work would have been for nothing. Instead, I found I still watched what I ate but without the pressure of numbers and logging and just all of the thought that goes into it. I gained 1.2 pounds back in the month of December and I'm back to logging and everything is okay.
    Also, 3 to 4 hours of exercise a day is a big commitment. I get it if you want to continue but maybe back off a bit and replace one of the cardios with yoga or even lifting weights. Light weights. That's your choice though.
    Try to give yourself a break so you can come back refreshed!
    Amazing loss by the way! Good job!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    First of all-Congrats on your weight loss so far!!

And then secondly-I agree with pps, it's probably time for a maintenance break to give yourself some 'down' time to relax a bit and let your body adjust :)

• repertoire
    repertoire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you are working out 3-4 hours every day, you probably need to eat closer to 2000 calories. I don't think working out that much and aiming for 1200 calories is sustainable. You are going to just be exhausted. You have done amazing...be proud of that and try not to rush your last 50 lbs. Just keep on being persistent and you'll get there! Much love.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    What helped me get back on track losing is to tighten up my logging. This meant weighing all the stuff I didn't think I needed to weigh (without people thinking I have an ED, but they think that anyway). Me, I'm the type of person who needs to finish something because if I stop halfway through, I'm not going to go back.