First time Keto - keen to share experience, tips, etc

Options
Hi Guys;

Quick Intro: I'm nearing my 40s (36 this month) and after a few years of bad living and little exercise, I've gone from around 200lbs up to 300lbs. Up until probably 32-33, I was always reasonably active and in my late twenties ran several half marathons and a marathon, although I've found that my weight has always yo-yo'ed up and down and would often range from 180lb to 220-230lb.

I'm now at the heaviest I've ever been and due to a couple of injuries from running + cricket, I can't do the savage style workouts I used to do to drop weight so need to be a little more moderate and also focus more on diet.

I've done some research and basically want to spend 2017 eating as clean as possible. What I'm looking to do is cycle Keto throughout the year (probably a mixture of 4 weeks on, 1 week off) alongside some moderate exercise (20-40minutes, 5 times a week, with some yoga + kettlebell + boxing on the bag) to get my weight back down. My goal is losing around 2lb a week for the entire year, although I expect that it will plateau, so ultimately I'm looking at 220lbs by January 4th as my goal.

Be keen to link up with others in a similar spot to discuss recipes, share ideas, and motivate one another.

My current macros are 40G Net Carbs, 150G Fat, 150G protein; finding lunch and dinner options reasonably easy but breakfast options when you can't eat eggs due to allergy aren't great, so will likely look into yoghurt + avocado smoothees.

Replies

• takeluck42
    takeluck42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! There's apparently a low carb high fat group here on MFP and I've found the r/keto subreddit really helpful. Based on my reading (I don't have enough experience with it yet to comment myself) cycling off keto will be really unpleasant as you'll likely have some carb flu symptoms every time you cycle back on. So that's something to keep in mind as you go through it initially: do I really want to feel like this every month?