Help: Where to begin

Options
Hi! I'm at an all time low right now. I weigh 245lbs, the highest I've ever been. I want to get out of this rut and lose weight but I don't know where to start. I've tried losing weight before and always get discouraged by the minimal amount lost. It makes it really hard to keep going. I've lost weight in the past but always gained it back. I really want this but I'm not sure how to start and keep going. Helpful advise would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Hi :) the best tool we can point you to (other than MFP) is the calorie calculator here.

Have a play, then eat to the calories it gives you. You can eat anything as long as it fits, that's the simplest way of doing it!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm at an all time low right now. I weigh 245lbs, the highest I've ever been. I want to get out of this rut and lose weight but I don't know where to start. I've tried losing weight before and always get discouraged by the minimal amount lost. It makes it really hard to keep going. I've lost weight in the past but always gained it back. I really want this but I'm not sure how to start and keep going. Helpful advise would be greatly appreciated!

Slow weight loss is the best way to do it. Dropping 1/2 lb a week or even staying the same is great. The alternative is you give up and continue to gain weight.

Have you set up your diary? I'd set it to a 1lb a week loss to start with until you get used to the reduced calories. Don't cut out any foods you like just lower the quantity you eat to make it fit your calorie allowance.

Can you start to walk a bit extra each day? Even a 15 minute walk really helps.

Keep reading the boards especially the beginner guides. Ask any questions you like and good luck :)
  • Prince_of_Mind
    Prince_of_Mind Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The best way I find to keep motivated is to just look at how far you've come.
    To begin with its a matter of seeing that the number on the scales is going down.
    Then you start to see that your clothes fit you better again and that the trousers that you couldnt button up before are coming closer and closer together.

And its also important to also look ahead with small goals such as losing your first 1/2 stone or hitting 1 stone lost.

You'll just go crazy if you look at how much you have to lose until you're the dream weight.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hello, first of all you are not going to lose the weight in a short period of time. It takes time and patience. Start logging, increase water intake and EXERCISE. Calories in, calories out. It is simple. Small weight lose goals are reasonable. Good luck. Be more positive---negativity will keep you from being successful.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Losing weight takes time, a lot of time, commitment, patience, and knowing what you are doing. Given enough time, and consistently staying in a calorie deficit that itsn't too aggressive, you will lose all your excess weight. Go to setup if you haven't already, and plot in your stats. MFP will tell you how many calories you should eat to lose weight. Aim to hit that goal every day. You don't have to do anything else. But this you have to do.