Weighing meals?

Options
So I'm trying to figure out how to weigh and figure out portions for meals I find online. Like I get its say 5 servings but how do you figure out how much it is per serving? Can you weigh those kind of things to get it as accurate as possible? Also how do you find it best to weigh things like lasagna, peanut butter and sauces? I'm pretty new to the whole food scale thing and mostly use it to weigh granola, almonds and meat. Thanks!

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Look it up on the MFP database and that will give you serving sizes and then YES and ABSOLUTELY weigh!
    Good luck!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    If the recipe is for a one pot meal or casserole, I put all the ingredients into the recipe builder, weigh the finished dish (minus pot) and use the weight as servings. So a lasagna might be 700 grams and I would enter it as 700 servings. When I go to serve it I would weigh my portion, probably 125 grams and enter that as my serving.

For things like peanut butter, margarine, jelly, mayo...place the jar on the scale and tare it to 0. Take out what you need and the negative weight should equal what you used.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    If the recipe is for a one pot meal or casserole, I put all the ingredients into the recipe builder, weigh the finished dish (minus pot) and use the weight as servings. So a lasagna might be 700 grams and I would enter it as 700 servings. When I go to serve it I would weigh my portion, probably 125 grams and enter that as my serving.

For things like peanut butter, margarine, jelly, mayo...place the jar on the scale and tare it to 0. Take out what you need and the negative weight should equal what you used.

@capaul42 gives great advice.

• hannat5017
    hannat5017 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Thanks! Often I make enough food for me and my husband for 2 to 3 nights so with that much how would you weigh it? My food scale is quite small and you said without the pot or whatever. Sorry just trying to make sure I understand.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    hannat5017 wrote: »

Thanks! Often I make enough food for me and my husband for 2 to 3 nights so with that much how would you weigh it? My food scale is quite small and you said without the pot or whatever. Sorry just trying to make sure I understand.

If the batch is more than my food scale can handle in one weighing, I weigh portions of the batch into one or more lightweight storage containers. Place the lightweight container on the scale, tare the scale, then scoop in some of the food and note the weight. If another container is needed, repeat. Then add the total weights.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    hannat5017 wrote: »

If the batch is more than my food scale can handle in one weighing, I weigh portions of the batch into one or more lightweight storage containers. Place the lightweight container on the scale, tare the scale, then scoop in some of the food and note the weight. If another container is needed, repeat. Then add the total weights.

This. I have to do this when I make stew. 2 containers last time, 750grams each container.
  • hannat5017
    hannat5017 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks everyone!
  • SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If it can fit in the palm of my hand I'm good. Who told me this trick escapes my memory but it works(for me) Not that I actually measure it in my hand..:) But I can pretty much after a few weeks of doing this figure out how much I actually need.