Question re: food alternatives

Options
megs603x
megs603x Posts: 14 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I am trying to stay on track for the new year regarding what I'm eating. Problem is, I feel like I'm wandering aimlessly when it comes to what foods to have. Some days, I'll do really well and be under my calorie count, but other days...

I'm Sicilian and Irish, so I've been raised on meat, potatoes, pasta, and cheese. I know what meats I can have and have been fine with the switch and staying under for that category. Potatoes, ehhh, I could live without them. I'm dying with the pasta and cheese part, though. Those are literally my two favorite foods. Is there a cheese that's better to have than most others? Is there a way to get around the pasta part? I usually make baked ziti and lasagna (and more frequently in the winter) so I'm feeling deprived these days.

Anyone have any suggestions for some more "friendly" cheese and/or pasta options?

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Instead of saying "I can't have pasta and cheese" say "I will work pasta and cheese into my calories" I have cheese every day in my salads, I just limit myself to 25g and added it to my food diary. Same with pasta, if I want it I have it and add it to my diary. I just make sure my other meals for that day are lower in calories so I can fit it in.
  • jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash really helped my pasta cravings. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't completely replace the taste of REAL spaghetti but it does help. I usually top with a nice red sauce and shrimp or buffalo sauce and shredded chicken. Generally helps with the cravings for something warm and comforting
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    have pasta but measure out a serving size (measure the g in the serving nutrition) - work it into your daily calories - if you say, I can't have x food, then IMHO you are setting yourself up for failure...ditto with cheese - I love cheese (my friend has a picture of me with a huge block of it on my lap as a gnawed on it)...i switched up to those little babybel rounds - i get my cheese, but they are only 70cal each and fit my daily goal
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I was a pasta addict. Here's what I did and it may or may not work for you. One option is Shirataki noodles (about 10 calories per cup). They are an acquired taste though because they are not starchy and are a bit more chewey than normal pasta. Make sure you rinse them really well then dry them out in a no stick fry pan before consuming or they will make your sauce runny. I also bought a spiralizer and mixed half veggies and half regular pasta. Eventually I found myself picking out the veggies and knew it was time to get rid of the pasta. I've learned to substitute cauliflower for rice now too and rarely eat pasta. One of the pluses for me was that pasta always made me feel bloated so feeling better encouraged me to keep at it. As with anything for me it seemed that gradually making changes made it possible to make permanent changes to my lifestyle. Good luck!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Can't help you with the pasta because I've never really been a big pasta eater. But cheese. . . . .. mmmmm. . . . cheeeeeeeeese. . . . .

I opt for stronger more flavorful cheeses where I can get the cheesy taste I want in a smaller portion. A 5 serving of shredded parmesan is like 20 calories where a 28 g chunk of mozzarela is like 100 calories.

Thin slices of extra sharp cheddar is much more satisfying than the same amount of a milder cheddar, and I opt for aged swiss and manchego over their younger and milder counterparts.

I also avoid cooking with lots of cheese in casseroles or things where it's going to disappear, and opt instead for adding it as a topper or a condiment where I can see and really taste and enjoy it. For example, I make lasagna with crumbled tofu instead of the ricotta in the layers, opting instead to put a really good layer of parm/asiago/romano on the top.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I was a pasta addict. Here's what I did and it may or may not work for you. One option is Shirataki noodles (about 10 calories per cup). They are an acquired taste though because they are not starchy and are a bit more chewey than normal pasta. Make sure you rinse them really well then dry them out in a no stick fry pan before consuming or they will make your sauce runny. I also bought a spiralizer and mixed half veggies and half regular pasta. Eventually I found myself picking out the veggies and knew it was time to get rid of the pasta. I've learned to substitute cauliflower for rice now too and rarely eat pasta. One of the pluses for me was that pasta always made me feel bloated so feeling better encouraged me to keep at it. As with anything for me it seemed that gradually making changes made it possible to make permanent changes to my lifestyle. Good luck!

This. ^^^^ I love shirataki noodles because I like pasta. They allow me to basically eat what my family is eating pasta wise but without the extra calories and carbs (which I have to really watch). They have them now as "spaghetti," rice, elbow noodles, etc. so I can make them work with whatever meal I'm having. Definitely must rinse first, but a great substitution for those looking for a sub.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    There are a number of 150 calorie pastas on the market (as opposed to 200), and as a bonus they are high fiber, thus keeping you full longer. Absolutely no difference in taste. I make pasta-based skillets a couple of times a week with lean meats and veggies.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I can't do baked ziti and lasagna on a regular basis because I will want to eat more than will fit in my calories, so for me it is best to avoid it most of the time.

For ordinary pasta, I just measure out a single serving and bulk it up with vegetables. I mean a lot of vegetables - broccoli and bell peppers are my favorites.

I measure oil carefully and

I use Locatelli Peccorino Romano because it's a lot of flavor for few calories.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You can either eat smaller portions of your regular food or make a few subst. Grated fresh parmesan has more flavor than what comes in the shaker, so you can use less. I love spiralizing zucchini or yellow squash and mixing it with half the amount of pasta. I always add extra veggies to my sauce or mixed with the squash(mushrooms, peppers, onion, shaved carrots). It bulks it up with lots of nutrients, but not alot of calories. Some people like to use nutritional yeast as a cheese subst, but not sure how you might like that.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You can either eat smaller portions of your regular food or make a few subst. Grated fresh parmesan has more flavor than what comes in the shaker, so you can use less. I love spiralizing zucchini or yellow squash and mixing it with half the amount of pasta. I always add extra veggies to my sauce or mixed with the squash(mushrooms, peppers, onion, shaved carrots). It bulks it up with lots of nutrients, but not alot of calories. Some people like to use nutritional yeast as a cheese subst, but not sure how you might like that.

This is what I do. I use just a small amount of parmesan, because it's flavorful. Feta is also flavorful and one of the lower calorie cheeses.

I have one serving of pasta, or one and a half (depending on my calories) and bulk it up with vegetables.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    megs603x wrote: »
    I am trying to stay on track for the new year regarding what I'm eating. Problem is, I feel like I'm wandering aimlessly when it comes to what foods to have. Some days, I'll do really well and be under my calorie count, but other days...

I'm Sicilian and Irish, so I've been raised on meat, potatoes, pasta, and cheese. I know what meats I can have and have been fine with the switch and staying under for that category. Potatoes, ehhh, I could live without them. I'm dying with the pasta and cheese part, though. Those are literally my two favorite foods. Is there a cheese that's better to have than most others? Is there a way to get around the pasta part? I usually make baked ziti and lasagna (and more frequently in the winter) so I'm feeling deprived these days.

Anyone have any suggestions for some more "friendly" cheese and/or pasta options?

If you enjoy them then keep eating them-you just need to learn how to fit them into your calorie goals :) No need to cut anything out or make drastic changes that are unrealistic and unsustainable-just start focusing on correct portion sizes (a food scale is a great help with this), consistently track your calorie intake and then aim to hit your calorie targets. Pre-planning your food for the day is also a great idea, so you can play around with the numbers and fit in what you want to eat that day!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,424 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Smaller portion sizes. Have pasta as a side dish with fish or chicken or have a big salad with your meal.
    Explore alternatives like zucchini noodles (zoodles) or mushroom lasagna that are lower calorie.
    You can buy lower fat cheese or just use less of full fat cheese.
    Use different vegetable sauces with your pasta instead of cheese.
    Plan ahead and save more calories for these meals.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/low-fat-baked-ziti-with-spinach/
    http://www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/healthy-lasagna-recipes
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/italian-inspired-recipes/
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I love pasta and cheese and still have both....
    but yes at the start a 50-75g portion of pasta seems paltry...but if you bulk it up with lots of protein and veg then its fine.
    Use a mature cheese so you get the full flavour so you can use less.