Should I use my step counter or log my jog to determine calorie burn?

All,

Should I just use my step counter to determine how many calories I burned or log my jog and disable step counter.

Is there a way to determine the near proper calorie burn using both?

Could someone provide their view?

Thanks,
ABL

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    For step based activity (walks, jogs, runs), I just let my fitbit do the work. You can overwrite the step counter data, but I don't see the point in doing that.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I have been using my step counter to record all of my runs, walks, jogs et al. It may, or may not, underestimate my calorie count, but so what. The scale, the fit of my clothes and how I feel during and after the run/walk/jog are the only criteria that are important. (Not necessarily in that order) ;-)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    I've found that my step counter is inaccurate on my treadmill workouts (no way a 5'2" person only gets 4000 steps in 3.5 miles, which is what it tracked when I worked out this morning). I prefer to use the step counter for regular daily activity and log the workout separately.
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    this is a great question! My fitbit Flex doesn't add calories burned to MFP, but when I log to MFP it adds it to fitbit.. not sure what i'm doing wrong. So logging my workout is my only option.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Running uses about twice as much energy as walking, per mile, because you aren't only moving your body forward, you're also jumping from leg to leg with every step.

The real question is how does your step counter work? Does it know you're running? Does it just give you 1/X calorie per step? Or does it realize your cadence went way up and adjust for that somehow? In any case, I'd be more comfortable using something meant for running.