Fitting on rides at Disney

Options
My goal right now is to simply lose enough weight to be able to do all the rides with my kids when we go to Disney in just over a year.

For any plus sized person that has been recently, how limiting are the rides? I'm so afraid of getting there and spending the week on the sidelines...sigh.

Thanks for any insights!

Replies

• songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Are you doing Florida or California? I love Disneyworld, I've been there many times. Disney rides are very accommodating to larger folks. I never had a problem. If you're also going to Universal/Islands of Adventure, some of the thrill rides are more restrictive, but for those rides, there's a seat you can test out bfore you get on line.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I did Disney at about 230 pounds (I'm 5'5"). I've lost 71 pounds now but then I didn't have a problem. I don't know exactly what my measurements were but I was wearing a size 3X. Go and have fun but if you have a year you can lose alot of weight between now and then and you will have more stamina than you probably do now. It's a wonderful place to make some memories with your family.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Great goal! You'll also feel so much better walking around the park too.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Nice! At FL Disney the rides are pretty large- a friend of mine and I went and he's a big dude- maybe 250 ish- and he didn't have trouble getting on the rides. HOWEVER, it's better to lose the weight before you go so you won't be in pain from walking all day! Good luck!!
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Great goal! You'll also feel so much better walking around the park too.

This^^
    Last time I went to Disney I walked an average of 30000 steps a day! Even just working up some cardio type stamina will make your experience so much more fun. And what a great reward for hitting a fitness goal! I love Disney !
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I live in Orlando and the parks regularly. Disney is definitely pooh-sized friendly. The only ride that can be a little cramped is the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. If you plan on going to any of the other parks like Universal or Sea World, it will be a little more restrictive as the majority of their rides are thrill coasters and due to safety regulations they have sizing limitations. But, as someone else mentioned, they have test seats out front if you're worried.
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am pretty heavy, and my family and I spent a week there last January (exactly a year ago today!). I had no problem going on any of the rides. However, all the walking is what hurt me the most. A year later I am still in a lot of pain in my knees - they never recovered from the trauma. Do yourself a favor and get your body for all the walking.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Just want to say that Disneyland itself can be great for weight loss. I have teenage son who's on the autism spectrum, and usually it's impossible to get him to moderate his eating, particularly at school where he can buy whatever he wants for snacks and lunch.

But at Disneyland? He was so excited I couldn't get him to eat until the end of our second day there. And I just let him go wherever he wanted. Are we at the Toy Story Mania at the south end of California Adventure, and he wants to go on Big Thunder Mountain next? Sure! He got more walking in on that trip than he'd gotten over the previous month, I think.
  • MikeGettingSmaller
    MikeGettingSmaller Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Big is relative, I see people thinking 250 is big. I wish I was 250. Right now I cannot fit on lots of the rides that require a belt or body restraint. My goal is like you to do normal things. I wish you all the luck in the world.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Don't limit yourself. I've seen people at 400+lbs ride on almost everything at Disneyland. There are a lot of weight-friendly rides, such as:

Star Tours (the seats are wide and the belts stretch out far more than an airplane seatbelt)
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    Matterhorn (although it's a very rough ride and will bounce around A LOT)
    Pirates Of The Caribbean
    The Haunted Mansion
    The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh
    Splash Mountain
    It's A Small World
    Big Thunder Mountain
    Soarin' Over California
    The Little Mermaid
    Monsters, Inc.
    Toy Story Midway Mania
    The Ferris Wheel

Most of the little kid rides are a bit of a toss up. Space Mountain and California Screamin' may be uncomfortable. Cast members will be more than helpful to answer any questions you may have.

I'm a Disneyland passholder. I'm 5'1 and in the mid 200 range, but I go to the park with a LOT of people of different sizes/heights. Nobody is ever limited on what they may ride. If you continue on this journey, good for you! But don't get too anxious about being too heavy for the rides at Disney. You'll do fine :)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I did Disney in Florida at about 230 pounds, and was fine. I don't remember having any issues at all.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    Just went to Disney and many of the rides were good. Though working out and losing weight is a great thing to do to prep for Disney. I averaged 13 miles a day and I feel that lossing weight made all that walking easyer to do.