Foot Pain in Spin Class

Options
yeags84
yeags84 Posts: 26 Member
Let me start by saying that I know the Internet is not a replacement for the medical advice of a doctor. If this issue continues, I will seek medical advice. I merely want to see if others have had this problem and what helped relieve it for them. :smile:

I've recently ramped up my workout routine in an effort to get this weight loss thing going. I decided to take a cycle/spin class one day a week. I've been experiencing pain in my right foot (outside bottom of foot) and ankle. It is most noticeable and painful during hills (high resistance) and when out of the saddle. Reducing resistance and sitting down, it usually works itself out.

Today was my second time in the class, and I used a different (stiffer) pair of shoes than I did the first week, but still had the pain. I'm new to this so I'm not sure if I've got something set wrong, if I'm using the wrong shoes, if my stride is weird or what. Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, what helped you?

Replies

• gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would ask the spin instructor if they have any suggestions. I could be something as simple as adjusting the seat. If the instructor doesn't have any suggestions to help out then I would see the doctor.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    First, make sure your bike is properly fit to you. Any good instructor should ask all new participants if they need help with this. Second, make sure when you're pedaling that you're pushing on the pedals using the ball of your foot and that your foot is "fairly" flat (no toes down pedaling). Yes, the stiffer the sole of your shoe, the better off you'll be with Cycling shoes (of course) being the preference. If none of that works, yes, see a dr.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Our instructor usually advises to be careful not to point our toes, as that can cause pain. You want your feet flat while pedaling. It could be part of your problem. If that doesn't help, get it checked out.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a pair of cycling shoes. This will not only cause your technique in cycling to be better but it might help your problem.